Home > Tech > Tech News
Tuesday September 3, 2013 MYT 3:00:00 PM
Tuesday September 3, 2013 MYT 4:54:03 PM
by tan kit hoong
EXPLOSIVE GROWTH: A recent study commissioned by Google found that the smartphone penetration has increased by nearly 300% since 2011 — a fact that should not surprise anyone who’s been in a restaurant, on public transport or in a cinema lately. — Reuters
A recent study commissioned by Google found that the smartphone penetration has increased by nearly 300% since 2011 — a fact that should not surprise anyone who’s been in a restaurant, on public transport or in a cinema lately.
Conducted by IPSOS MediaCT, the study was intended to understand how smartphones are increasingly playing an important role in the lives of people all over the world.
Forty-eight countries were compared in the study, with some 48,000 people involved.
Of those, 500 Malaysians aged between 15 and 64 years old were asked about their smartphone habits.
The study revealed that smartphone penetration is now at 35% in this country, where it was just 2% in 2011.
The questions asked showed some other interesting facts about Malaysians and smartphone usage:
• 88% of Malaysians who use smartphones access the Internet every day on their devices, and most never leave home without it. That’s compared with about 72% in Singapore and 31% in Thailand.
• 41% of Malaysian smartphone users surveyed would rather give up their TV than their mobile.
• 43% of smartphone users surveyed in Malaysia regularly use their own devices while watching TV.
• 91% of Malaysians with smartphones have researched a product or service on their device before and 59% of those go on to complete purchases on the desktop PC.
• 40% of all YouTube videos globally are viewed on a mobile device. 90% of Malaysian smartphone users have watched a video on their smartphones and 39% do so daily.
• Web search is an important aspect of smartphone use and 69% of Malaysians search for product information on their smartphones.
• 53% of Malaysian smartphone users search for information on restaurants, pubs or bars, 57% search for travel information and 43% search for information on apartments and housing.
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)