Home > Sport > Tennis
Wednesday August 13, 2014 MYT 3:37:02 AM
Wednesday August 13, 2014 MYT 3:37:53 AM
(Reuters) - Rafa Nadal will decide by the end of this week whether he is fit enough to defend his U.S. Open title after suffering a right wrist injury that ruled him out of two tune-up events, the Spaniard's spokesman said on Tuesday.
"He went for a check (up) today in Barcelona and (the) imagery looks as predicted. He will practise in the next days and decide on Friday or Saturday," his spokesman said ahead of the U.S grand slam which starts later this month.
The 28-year-old Majorcan left-hander sustained the injury during practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist.
Nadal was forced to withdraw from last week's Rogers Cup in Toronto and this week's Cincinnati Open, putting in doubt his participation at the year's final grand slam at Flushing Meadows in New York starting on Aug. 25.
Last week the world number two posted a picture of himself working on court with his uncle and coach Toni in which a black wrist support was clearly visible.
"Making the most of these days to continue training, always with desire and optimism," Nadal wrote.
(Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Ken Ferris)
Nadal will bounce back for US Open, says coach
Rejuvenated Nadal and Djokovic target Murray’s US crown
Tired Nadal withdraws from Basel indoor tournament
Nadal says serve needs to be better at U.S. Open
Nadal stumbles through to French Open third round
Berdych to be coached by Murray's former hitting partner
ATP prize money to reach $100 million in 2015
McIlroy and Wust take top Reuters awards
Major sporting upsets of 2014
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
In United States, drones take off as Christmas gifts
Germany to step up bird flu testing after new cases discovered
Remembering Tsunami 2004: Phuket orphanage rises from devastation
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)