Home > Sport > Tennis
Wednesday July 2, 2014 MYT 7:47:05 AM
Wednesday July 2, 2014 MYT 7:47:58 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - Factbox on Australia's Nick Kyrgios, who defeated French Open champion Rafa Nadal in the Wimbledon fourth round 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 on Tuesday to reach the quarter-finals.
* Born April 27, 1995 in Canberra, Australia,
* He is the son of a Greek father, Giorgos, and a Malaysian mother, Norlaila
* A promising basketball player growing up but choose to focus solely on tennis when he was 14-years-old.
* Won the Australian Open boys' singles title in 2013
* He is an accomplished doubles player and won back-to-back Wimbledon boys' doubles in 2012 and 2013, as well as the 2012 Roland Garros doubles title.
* Turned professional in 2013.
* Currently the highest-ranked teenager on the men's professional circuit at 144th.
* Coached by Tennis Australian national coach Simon Rea.
* A wildcard entry in this year's Wimbledon, he is the youngest player in the men's singles draw.
* He is the first player to reach the quarter-finals on their debut at the championship since Florian Mayer in 2004.
* He is youngest player to reach the quarter-finals at the All England Club since compatriot Bernard Tomic, aged 18, reached the last eight in 2011.
* The nine match points he saved during his second round 3-6 6-7(4) 6-4 7-5 10-8 win over ninth seed Richard Gasquet is the joint-highest amount of match points saved by a winner in a Grand Slam match in the professional era.
* His victory of Gasquet was his first tour-level win over an opponent in the world's top 50.
* Kyrgios is the first player born in the 1990s to beat Rafa Nadal and is the first teenager to beat the world number one at a grand slam since Nadal himself beat Federer at the 2005 French Open.
(Compiled by Sam Holden; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
Managing thigh injury key to Madison's success
Hewitt flags retirement after next Australian Open
'Bad mood' Berdych rues another missed chance
Berdych ends Nadal-mare streak at 17 losses
Dynamic and Stylish BMW X1
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
MCA: Alcohol sale ban in 7-11 outlets will lead to ethnic segregation
Head for the Hills: 'Hollywood' sign tourists spell trouble for locals
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)