Home > Sport > Tennis
Wednesday July 2, 2014 MYT 7:47:05 AM
Wednesday July 2, 2014 MYT 7:47:58 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - Factbox on Australia's Nick Kyrgios, who defeated French Open champion Rafa Nadal in the Wimbledon fourth round 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 on Tuesday to reach the quarter-finals.
* Born April 27, 1995 in Canberra, Australia,
* He is the son of a Greek father, Giorgos, and a Malaysian mother, Norlaila
* A promising basketball player growing up but choose to focus solely on tennis when he was 14-years-old.
* Won the Australian Open boys' singles title in 2013
* He is an accomplished doubles player and won back-to-back Wimbledon boys' doubles in 2012 and 2013, as well as the 2012 Roland Garros doubles title.
* Turned professional in 2013.
* Currently the highest-ranked teenager on the men's professional circuit at 144th.
* Coached by Tennis Australian national coach Simon Rea.
* A wildcard entry in this year's Wimbledon, he is the youngest player in the men's singles draw.
* He is the first player to reach the quarter-finals on their debut at the championship since Florian Mayer in 2004.
* He is youngest player to reach the quarter-finals at the All England Club since compatriot Bernard Tomic, aged 18, reached the last eight in 2011.
* The nine match points he saved during his second round 3-6 6-7(4) 6-4 7-5 10-8 win over ninth seed Richard Gasquet is the joint-highest amount of match points saved by a winner in a Grand Slam match in the professional era.
* His victory of Gasquet was his first tour-level win over an opponent in the world's top 50.
* Kyrgios is the first player born in the 1990s to beat Rafa Nadal and is the first teenager to beat the world number one at a grand slam since Nadal himself beat Federer at the 2005 French Open.
(Compiled by Sam Holden; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
Russian Federation chief apologises for jibe at Williams sisters
Williams gets kind draw for WTA Finals defence
Ivanovic enjoys freedom of underdog role against Bouchard
Cilic qualifies for ATP World Tour Finals
Williams thrashed by Halep at WTA Finals
Murray battles past Ferrer to clinch Vienna Open title
Koke on song as Atletico thrash Malmo 5-0
5 viral Malaysians you can dress up as this Halloween
Anyone whose last name is Rossevelt gets a RM295 stay in iconic New York hotel
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)