Home > Sport > Tennis
Sunday April 20, 2014 MYT 12:57:31 AM
Sunday April 20, 2014 MYT 12:58:26 AM
MONTE CARLO (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic said on Saturday he would not be able to play tennis "for some time" after being hampered by a wrist injury at the Monte Carlo Masters.
The Serbian second seed was knocked out 7-5 6-2 by former world number one Roger Federer in the semi-finals, being clearly bothered by his sore right wrist -- a problem he has been suffering from for 10 days.
"The good thing is I don't need to have a surgery," said Djokovic, who had won the claycourt Masters in the principality last year.
"I don't have any rupture or something like that. I'm going to go see doctors tonight and then tomorrow again have another MRI, see if anything changed in this seven days since I had the last one.
"I just rest now. I cannot play tennis for some time. How long, I don't know," he added, six weeks before the start of the May 25-June 8 French Open.
"It's really not in my hands anymore. I'm going to rest and see when it can heal 100 per cent, then I will be back on the court."
Saturday's defeat ended Djokovic's impressive run in Masters events as he had won the previous five, in Shanghai, Paris, London (ATP World Tour finals), Indian Wells and Miami.
(Writing by Julien Pretot in Paris; Editing by Rex Gowar)
Venus Williams wins Wuhan Open title
Tsonga claims 12th career title with Moselle Open win
Ferrer fancies his chances after reaching Malaysian Open semis
Super fan Brandan can’t get enough of the Malaysian Open
It's been a treat for Huey as he bags Malaysian Open doubles title with Kontinen
Resilient Becker neutralises big serving Groth to reach second round
Driving home a sensible message
Germany needs to limit refugee influx, close borders - Merkel allies
Chamber: Rajang port not closing down
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)