Home > Sport > Tennis
Tuesday April 15, 2014 MYT 11:07:45 PM
Tuesday April 15, 2014 MYT 11:08:57 PM
(Reuters) - Novak Djokovic opened his Monte Carlo Masters title defence with a 6-1 6-0 demolition of Spanish qualifier Albert Montanes on Tuesday to reach the third round on Tuesday.
In his first claycourt match of the season, the Serbian world number two won 11 games in succession from 1-1 in a 45-minute stroll on centre court.
Djokovic, bidding to become the first player to achieve an Indian Wells-Miami-Monte Carlo Masters treble in the same season, ended his opponent's ordeal on his first match point with a volley at the net, having broken five times and saved four break points.
He will next face Spanish lucky loser Pablo Busta Carreno or the winner of a late first-round match between France's Gael Monfils and South African 14th seed Kevin Anderson.
Djokovic, who last year ended Rafael Nadal's eight-year reign in the principality, has won the last four Masters events he has played, prevailing in Shanghai, Paris, Indian Wells and Miami.
Earlier, Frenchman Michael Llodra beat Polish 16th seed Jerzy Janowicz in first-round action and French ninth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga struggled to secure a third-round spot in a 6-4 1-6 6-4 defeat of German Philipp Kohlschreiber.
(Writing by Julien Pretot in Paris; Editing by Ed Osmond)
Nadal wins first title of year in Argentina
Awesome Federer floors Djokovic in straight sets
Sharapova less fixated on top spot but eager to beat Serena
Agassi says would be happy for Serena if she usurps wife
Malaysians abroad share how they celebrate our local festivals
8 Incredible food and wine adventures you can do in Australia!
Netanyahu warns Obama on Iran deal, says he means no disrespect
The alternative Bali
Web Wanders: Fan vs filmmaker
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)