Home > Sport > Tennis
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 7:22:00 AM
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 5:16:52 PM
Rafael Nadal of Spain seen here in the Australian Open last month, has withdrawn from the Buenos Aires tennis tournament starting next week. - AFP
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal will miss next week's ATP tournament in Buenos Aires following a stomach bug that has hindered his recovery from the back injury he sustained at the Australian Open.
"I had a stomach virus that has not allowed me to train this morning (Thursday) and I have had to put back everything," the world number one said on his website.
"We are three days from the start of the tournament and without having been able to train a single day since Australia it means it has been impossible for me to prepare sufficiently to compete in an event so important as Buenos Aires."
Nadal's back injury contributed to his surprise four-set defeat by Switzerland's number eight seed Stanislas Wawrinka in the Australian Open final at the end of January.
(Writing by Tim Hanlon; Editing by Ken Ferris)
Tired Nadal pulls out of German tournament
Tired Nadal withdraws from Basel indoor tournament
Serena and Nadal relieved after surviving tough opponents
Nadal seeded fifth at Wimbledon
Nadal beats Ferrer to win record eighth French Open title
Major sporting upsets of 2014
Berdych to be coached by Murray's former hitting partner
ATP prize money to reach $100 million in 2015
McIlroy and Wust take top Reuters awards
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Turkey's Erdogan says birth control 'treason' against Turkish lineage
Remembering Tsunami 2004: Aceh family reunited
New York cop assassin telegraphed intentions on Instagram
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)