Home > Sport
Tuesday September 10, 2013 MYT 9:39:00 PM
Tuesday September 10, 2013 MYT 9:40:51 PM
by kng zheng guan AND r. patrick
Alan Clyne: ' With a bit more luck, I hope to repeat my performance from two years ago.'
KUALA LUMPUR: Scotland’s Alan Clyne is hoping for a repeat of some 2011 magic after clearing his first qualifying match at the National Squash Centre in Bukit Jalil on Tuesday.
The world No. 33 came through the qualifying round two years ago and made an incredible run to the semi-finals before losing to eventual champion Gregory Gaultier of France.
On Tuesday, Clyne, fresh from winning the New Zealand Classic last week, proved too strong for Kuwait’s Ammar Altamimi. He won 11-8, 14-12, 11-7 in 40 minutes.
“It’s just going to get harder from here onwards as I’ll be playing Mazen (Hesham of Egypt) next,” said the 27-year-old Clyne.
“My immediate aim is to get into the main draw. With a bit more luck, I hope to repeat my performance from two years ago,” he added.
Hesham had an easy time, thrashing local lad Mohd Hannan Tarmidi 11-4, 11-9, 11-5.
“I am in good form because I just came from India where I won the Maharashtra State Open,” said Hesham.
“Hopefully I’ll remain in good shape because I’ll be playing in a lot more tournaments from now on.”
In other qualifying matches, national No. 3 Mohd Asyraf Azan rallied to overcome compatriot Sanjay Singh Chal 10-12, 11-9, 11-7, 11-9.
Asyraf will take on Egypt’s Omar Abdel Aziz, who defeated compatriot Zahed Mohamed 11-8, 3-11, 11-4, 11-5, in Wednesday’s second round.
Malaysian Valentino Bong failed to impress, putting on an uninspiring show to lose 6-11, 5-11, 1-11 to Hong Kong’s Max Lee.
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)