Home > Sport > Other Sports
Thursday April 18, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday April 26, 2013 MYT 12:12:01 AM
MONTE CARLO (Monaco): Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic booked their places in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters yesterday as the pair each passed tough tests after recent physical setbacks.
Nadal made a predictably successful return to his beloved clay, the Spanish third seed starting his quest for a ninth straight Monte Carlo Masters title with a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Marinko Matosevic.
Tournament number one Djokovic put his injured right ankle under major pressure but still came up with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Russian Mikhail Youzhny.
The Serb had waited until the last minute to make his decision on whether he could compete after rolling his ankle ten days ago.
He spent two and a quarter hours on court, earning a late break for 5-4 in the decider as Youzhny missed a drop shot, before serving out the match.
“I’m not at 100% but this was still a very good win,” said the top seed.
Nadal was totally in his comfort zone on another sunny, warm day on the Mediterranean, demolishing the Australian in 62 minutes.
He won the first seven points of the match, with Matosevic earning only two points in the first four games.
The Spaniard ended with 15 winners, eight unforced errors and conversions on six of nine break point chances in the crowd-pleasing rout.
“I played well with the right feelings and doing the right things, so I’m very happy,” he said. “I had the right intensity, with no mistakes.
“I was trying to find a good feeling on the ball, to find the right rhythm. And I think I did, no? That gives me confidence.”
Nadal’s quick win marked a successful return to action after resting for three weeks in the wake of his Indian Wells title of last month.
The 26-year-old is planning his schedule more carefully after missing seven months of play in 2012-2013 due to his chronic knee problems.
But he will have little rest in the run-up to Roland Garros, with entries set for Barcelona plus the Madrid and Rome Masters over the next four weeks.
Nadal, playing Monte Carlo for the 10th time, improved his phenomenal record here to 45-1, with his only loss coming to Guillermo Coria in 2003 as a teenager.
The Spaniard owns the best career match record on clay in the post-1968 Open era with a 267-20 record and 38 clay titles from 43 finals on the surface.
He said, though, that despite his enviable Monte Carlo run, he feels no extra pressure to win. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Others, Sport, Sport, nadal, djokovic, monte carlo masters
14 picked for Top Sport Star awards
The show goes on for Malaysian Open golf with new promoter
Nadal makes semi-finals on Hamburg clay
Nadal on double duty in Hamburg return
Unity event a big success
Snooker player Thor storms into last 16 in Germany
StarSport: We're on Facebook!
Relations with Rossi better than ever, says Lorenzo
Thor hopes for funding to complete world snooker tour
Los Angeles leaders expected to vote on whether to pursue Olympics
Five unusual ways to build endurance for a marathon
Former all British club celebrates turning 100
Alcatel-Lucent chief defends €14mil payout
Elderly couple’s home a mini-museum of all things patriotic
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)