Home > Sport > Other Sports
Wednesday February 13, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 17, 2013 MYT 12:13:14 AM
SAO PAULO: Spain's Rafael Nadal teamed up with Argentina's David Nalbandian to post a three-set doubles victory in the Brazil Open here late Tuesday.
The world number five, back on a court after his defeat in the Vina del Mar Open in Chile Sunday, and his partner won 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 in just 79 minutes over fellow Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the first round of the ATP clay court event.
The third set was hard fought with Nadal and Nalbandian saving two match points before prevailing 11-9. The Spanish star was mobbed by adoring fans as he left the court.
The match started two hours behind schedule and Nadal, wearing a white knee brace, was greeted with thunderous applause when he appeared on the court in the 9,300-seat Ibirapuera gymnasium.
The winning duo was to play in the second round Wednesday.
As the top seed, Nadal, an 11-time Grand Slam champion enjoyed a first-round singles bye and will open his singles campaign Thursday.
He lost the singles and doubles finals Sunday at his comeback event in Vina del Mar, Chile following a seven-month knee injury absence.
"I am a bit tired after a hard week in Chile. But it was positive. The process of recovery follows its course. As always I come here to do the best possible and hope that things turn out all right," Nadal told a news conference here earlier Tuesday.
Asked when he expected to be 100 percent fit, he responded: "I cannot know the future. If my knee allows, I will do everything possible to be at my best.
"I am a player who plays with a lot passion, a lot of energy. I suppose that does not help the knee."
He said his worst moment during his seven-month absence was when he realized he could not compete for Spain and defend his title at the London Olympics.
"My long-term objective is to be in Brazil in 2016 (for the Rio Summer Olympics). I am going to work to arrive in good conditions at what are likely to be my last Olympics," he said.
Considered by many to be the best ever clay-court player, Nadal was back in Chile last week for the first time since a surprise second-round exit at Wimbledon in June.
Since then he has been sidelined by a torn tendon and inflammation in his left knee, with his return this year further delayed by a stomach virus.
Nadal, ranked number five in the world, is helping boost the prestige of the $455,775 Brazil Open, part of the Latin American clay court circuit that also includes Vina del Mar and the Mexico Open in Acapulco in which he will compete later this month.
The Spaniard won the Brazil Open in 2005 when it was held in Costa do Sauipe, Bahia state. - AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Others, Sport, Rafael Nadal, David Nalbandian, Brazil Open
Upped Murray opens Dubai quest with tough win
No Joke(r) as Murray lifts season’s first title
Rafael Nadal is Tommy Hilfiger's latest spokesmodel
Sky's the limit for ‘unassuming’ Nishikori
Nadal wins but Ferrer crashes out in Barcelona
Hamza takes Asian snooker champion crown
Lorenzo takes Spanish GP pole ahead of Marquez
National sepak takraw team head to Korea for training
O'Sullivan falls to inspired Bingham
Puma cuts profit forecast as strong dollar takes toll
Is it easy to get your man to go for a health screening?
For the love of rice and curry
Come out early to vote
Permatang Pauh by-election (live updates)
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)