Home > Sport > Other Sports
Saturday September 15, 2007 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday July 8, 2013 MYT 12:01:20 AM
by rizal abdullah
JOHOR BARU: Financial constraints have forced Perak to off-load their three foreigners – Guinean hotshot Keita Mandjou, Croatian defender Vedran Kukoc and Burkina Faso midfielder Traore Abdoulaye – and six locals for the new season which is scheduled to kick off in the first week of November. All those released have existing contracts until the end of October.
However, coach Steve Darby, whose contract with Perak runs until October 2008, did not release the name of the locals who are mostly reserves. In a bid to further cut costs, Perak will promote two players to the senior team. They are Nor Hazrul Mustafa and Fakri Shaarani, both 18, from the youth team. The duo saw action with the senior team a number of times this season.
The Englishman added that whether Perak will recall any of the three foreigners released or hire any new foreigners will depend on next year's budget. He was quick to point out that the major revamp has nothing to do with the Seladang's failure to win any silverware this season.
Perak's budget for the new season is expected to increase considerably as they will be competing in the AFC Cup. This year's budget was nearly RM4mil.
“It simply boils down to funds. Who we hire for our challenge in the new season will depend on next year's budget.
“We had a small squad this season and it was because of money. It could be the same for the new season,” said Darby.
“All the locals released could not manage a first team place. As reserves it is too expensive to have them on the payroll. One of them is paid RM10,000 per month while another gets RM8,500.”
According to Darby, Perak will be looking at promoting their “young homegrown talent” to the senior squad to reduce costs. He added that those with contracts in the senior team for the next year or two have been retained.
“We have a unique contract system. There are some with one year, some with two years and some with three-year contracts. In this way we will not be short of players with experience when changes are made,” said Darby.
Darby is also expecting Perak to lose a number of players for national duty again in the new season.
“Just like Kedah, Negri Sembilan and even Selangor, I expect Perak to lose a number of their young players for national duty.
“It happened this season and it could be no different when the new season gets underway,” said Darby.
In the Super League, Perak were well poised to land their first league title but stumbled on the home stretch and allowed Kedah to be crowned the new champions.
In the Malaysia Cup final played at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil last week, Perak were beaten 0-3 by Kedah who completed a grand treble, having also won the FA Cup.
Former international Khalid Jamlus, who walked away with the topscorer's award for locals with 26 goals, is among those who will stay together with Yusri Che Lah and K. Nanthakumar.
Nanthakumar, who was named this season's Most Popular Player, has been called up to join the national team for the Korat SEA Games.
Zimbabwe may have to field two goalkeepers in qualifier
Perak sign three foreigners for new M-League season
Crisis-hit Hearts hang 'For Sale' sign over squad
Italian football in dire state as television weighs options
Game is force for good, says Prince William as FA marks 150 years
Wust skates among the greats after Sochi
Brazil mascots named after 'Girl from Ipanema' composers
Rio de Janeiro preparations on track - mayor
Smith named Australia captain, Clarke career in doubt
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Spa Village Pangkor Laut wins “Men’s Spa of the Year”
Malaysia’s first ever Penang Hokkien film is on the way
Najib urges M’sians to vote for pandas
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)