Home > Sport > Motorsport
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 7:32:53 PM
Tuesday August 5, 2014 MYT 7:33:43 PM
MUNICH Germany (Reuters) - A German judge said on Tuesday he would discontinue for now a bribery trial against Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone following his offer to make a $100 million (74.69 million pounds) payment.
Judge Peter Noll told the court the suspicion of bribery against Ecclestone was by and large not backed up during the trial. He ordered Ecclestone to pay $100 million within a week - $99 million to the state and $1 million to a children's charity.
Ecclestone, 83, went on trial in Munich in April over allegations he paid a $44 million bribe to a former German banker to facilitate the sale of a major stake in the motor sport business eight years ago.
Ecclestone, a former used car salesman who became a billionaire by building the sport into a global money spinner over the past four decades, has denied any wrongdoing.
The state prosecutor told the court earlier on Tuesday that due to Ecclestone's "advanced age" and "other extenuating circumstances", they supported the proposed settlement.
(Reporting by Joern Poltz; Writing by Erik Kirschbaum, Maria Sheehan and Kirsti Knolle)
Renault deal 'pretty much done', says Lotus owner
Renault's F1 future remains on hold
Williams won't appeal against Massa exclusion
Hamilton wants to give NASCAR a go
Rosberg fastest as Mercedes dominate in Abu Dhabi
Eight experiences you can’t miss when in Australia
New generation focus of watch and jewellery showcase
More ops to check drug menace
Photo Kit: Exploring the world, on two wheels
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)