Home > Sport > Motorsport
Friday October 11, 2013 MYT 4:08:00 PM
Friday October 11, 2013 MYT 4:10:15 PM
by lim teik huat
Zulfahmi Khairuddin is one of six Malaysians racing in the MotoGP this weekend. He will be searching for more world championship points in Moto3. – Bernama Photo
SEPANG: The 23rd edition of the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix notched a first with all grandstand tickets taken up for Sunday’s race.
This year sees the biggest ever local participation with six riders on the MotoGP grid. Sepang International Circuit chief executive officer Datuk Razlan Razali said the participation of Zulfahmi Khairuddin, Amirul Hafiq, Husni Aizat Abdul Malik, Hafizh Syahrin, Azlan Shah Kamaruzzaman and Muhd Zaqhwan Zaidi has been instrumental in the circuit’s success in securing a total of 80,000 spectators so far.
”I am proud to announce as of yesterday, our ticket sales have already reached 80,000, which is the biggest ever and already surpassing the record sales from last year.
”I have requested my sales team to print more tickets for this weekend’s event.
”I have no doubt that a lot of this interest has been generated by the fact that for the first time in the history of the event, we have six Malaysian riders on the grid.”
A total of 77,000 spectators attended race day last year.
While Zulfahmi will be searching for more world championship points in Moto3, Amirul and Husni will be competing as wildcard riders.
Hafizh is competing on a wildcard ticket in Moto2 for the second year running along with Zaqhwan while Azlan has been entered by Honda Asia Racing Team to compete in the second half of the season, beginning with the San Marino Grand Prix in Misano.
The future of the Malaysian GP is secure for the next three years with MotoGP organisers Dorna’s confirmation Friday of Sepang remaining as one of the few Asian stops until at least 2016.
The popular track with both riders and teams, which has been on the MotoGP calendar since 1999, will play host to the premier class, along with Moto2 and Moto3.
Dorna chief executive officer Carmelo Ezpeleta commented, “To sign this agreement for the next three years is fantastic news for all parties involved in the MotoGP.
”The Sepang International Circuit is a great facility that is a favourite for many reasons and it is invaluable on the race calendar.
”It is one of the cornerstones of the championship’s push into new markets and continues to draw a greater number of fans. I hope this will continue for many more years of exciting racing to come,” he said.
Meanwhile, a minute’s silence will be observed before the MotoGP qualifying on Saturday as a mark of respect for the deaths of track marshall Satish Suppiah and Mohd Izzat Abdul Hakim last month.
Satish died in a freak accident when he was knocked down by Izzat’s bike at the finishing line in a local race.
Izzat’s team has organised a donation drive at the track for the weekend, with a collection box set up at the South Track area since Friday.
Tags / Keywords:
motosport, racing, MotoGP, Sepang, Sepang International Circuit, Zulfahmi Khairuddin, Amirul Hafiq, Husni Aizat Abdul Malik, Hafizh Syahrin, Azlan Shah Kamaruzzaman, Muhd Zaqhwan Zaidi
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)