Published: Friday February 28, 2014 MYT 8:57:00 PM
Updated: Friday February 28, 2014 MYT 10:33:40 PM

Thunderbolt, Olak within reach of MJHL semis

KUALA LUMPUR: Defending champions SSTMI-Thunderbolt are virtually through to the semi-finals of the MHC-Milo-NSC Malaysian Junior Hockey League after whacking MSP Pahang Juniors 8-0 in the first-leg quarter-final match at the National Hockey Stadium.

And they are set to face old foes Old La Sallians Association of Klang (Olak)-PKT in the last four after the Selangor outfit carved out a 4-1 win over Malacca High School on the adjacent pitch on Friday.

Thunderbolt managed only two goals in the first half but came alive in the second after a half-time ticking, to slot in six goals for their convincing victory.

Team manager Adam Izamy Idrus said despite the big win they will still go all out in the return leg.

“The big win is a relief to us. Now, we can try out some of the fringe players in the second leg and get them ready for the semi-finals.

“It is also good to note that our penalty corner executions worked and we also had three field goals. We have to be cautious in the next match as we don’t want the players to pick up any injuries,” said Adam.

Thunderbolt midfielder Mohamed Najib Abu Hassan was shown the green card and will be suspended for the return leg.

Skipper Mohamed Aminuddin Mohamed Zain scored a hat-trick from penalty corner executions in the seventh, 39th and 42nd minutes while Mohamed Amirol Aideed netted three field goals in the 50th, 67th and 70th minutes.

The other two goals came from Mohamed Najmi Farizal (35th) and Mohamed Firdaus Omar (48th).

On the adjacent pitch, Olak found themselves behind after a 20th minute penalty corner goal by Malacca High School’s Mohamed Farid Farhadh.

T. Devaraj equalised for Olak in the 22nd minute and made it 2-1 in the 43rd minute. Mohamed Najmi Ghazali and Mohamed Ashyraff Aris were on target in the 28th and 54th minutes respectively.

In another match, Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) edged Division two champions Politeknik Johor 3-2.

Politeknik Johor took the lead through Mohamed Ain Abdul Rahman in the seventh minute, scoring a field goal. Mohamed Haikal Zamry equalised for UniKL in the 32nd minute and Mohmed Rahimi Iskandar gave them the lead in the 45th minute off a field goal. But Politeknik stormed back to score the equaliser in the 49th minute through Safeed Roslan.

Rahimi popped in the winner for UniKL off a penalty corner execution in the 61st minute.

In the last quarter-final match, Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) also took a big step towards the semi-finals with a 4-1 win over former champions BJSS.

Abdul Halim Jalil and Mohamed Nor Ikhwan gave the PJ team a 2-0 lead with goals in the 20th and 26th minutes respectively.

Mohamed Emir Afzan scored the third goal for MBPJ in the 48th minute, while BJSS replied through Mahathir Rathuwan in the 54th minute

Nor Ikhwan completed the scoring for the PJ side with a 67th minute penalty corner goal.

Tags / Keywords: hockey, MJHL, Malaysian Junior Hockey League, Thunderbolt, Pahang, UniKL, BJSS, Bukit Jalil Sports School, Politeknik Johor


Most Viewed

Powered by