Home > Sport
Monday January 20, 2014 MYT 6:24:00 PM
Monday January 20, 2014 MYT 10:05:48 PM
by s. ramaguru
NSC Director-General Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong said outgoing national hockey coach Paul Revington can leave immediately without serving his 3-month notice period if he wishes to. - Filepic
KUALA LUMPUR: The National Sports Council (NSC) believe there is no reason for Paul Revington to stay on for the next three months if he is not interested in coaching the national team.
NSC director-general Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong said he was disappointed with the decision taken by the South African and said they will not hold him back if he wants to leave immediately.
“There is no point keeping him if he is not interested. I gave him an assurance in June 2013 (when he quit) that we would do anything to help him.
“But he has never discusssed the issue with us (NSC) and neither did he inform us before submitting his resignation letter,” he said yesterday.
When told that Revington is willing to stay on for the next three months to complete his contractual obligation, Zolkples said it will depend on what sort of job there is for him.
“That will largely depend on the two coaches of the senior and junior teams. If they want to use him then fine but otherwise we can shorten the period since there has been a breach in contract,” said Zolpkles.
The NSC director-general also said that there is no reason for him to meet with Revington now.
“There is no point in meeting him now as he has already made up his mind. I had a meeting with MHC president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah on Sunday and we have discussed all matters relating to the issue,” he added.
The NSC are not averse to local coaches taking charge of the senior and junior teams.
The MHC at the meeting on Sunday had appointed K. Dharmaraj as the senior team chief coach replacing Revington while A. Arulselvaraj was given the job of Project 2016 coach.
Arulselvaraj had been Revington’s assistant since October 2012.
Zolkples said he had no indication that there was any serious problems in the team.
“I had a meeting with Tengku Abdullah two weeks ago and with the annoucement of the 35 players (for the natioanl squad) last week I thought everything was fine with the team.
“This is certainly a surprise. We have to handle the situation carefully as this is an important year for Malaysian hockey. I have no issue with Dharmaraj and Arulselvaraj taking over the teams,” he said.
Revington’s problem with the national team started last year. He quit in June citing outside interferance in national team matters.
The matter was resolved and the South African stayed on after assurance that he would be given help.
Zolkples added that Revington has done well and that the team is more structured now.
“But life must go on. We will have to look forward and hope that this does not unsettle the team.”
Skipper Azreen lead the way as Sapura edge Maybank
Fitri feels ready to don national colours again
KLHC coach believes MHL title will be decided on Sunday
KLHC stay in MHL driver's seat after thrashing UniKL
Sapura's got to make every penalty corners count
Five unusual ways to build endurance for a marathon
Kuching’s rally the only one with permit from council and the cops
Samsung Gear VR: Sight beyond sight
Migrant trains reach Germany as EU asylum system creaks
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)