Published: Saturday January 18, 2014 MYT 10:26:00 PM
Updated: Saturday January 18, 2014 MYT 10:27:59 PM

Thunderbolt storm to second big win

KUALA LUMPUR: Last year, SSTMI-Thunderbolt lost to Anderson and it nearly cost them the Division One title in the MHC-Milo-NSC Malaysia Junior Hockey League.

So, when the two teams met at the Sultan Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh on Saturday, defending champions SSTMI-Thunderbolt went in with trepidation.

Frankly, they needn’t be. As it turned out, it was a stroll in the park for the defending champions as they trounced Anderson 7-0 for their second straight big win.

Even SSTMI-Thunderbolt coach Wan Mohd Roslan was surprised.

“The big win is a surprise for us. We started off well and the players took their chances. We lost to Anderson last year and were wary of their potential to be spoilers,” he said.

“We can now look forward to finishing the league campaign on a high as the players will be more settled in the coming games.”

SSTMI, who had hammered SSTMI Juniors 6-0 in their opening game last Sunday, got their goals through Mohd Najib Abu Hassan (1st minute), Mohd Aminuddin Mohd Zain (9th, 68th), Syed Mohd Syafiq Syed Cholan (47th, 64th) Mohd Firdaus Omar (54th) and Mohd Zulhamizan Awang Abas (62nd).

For Anderson, the loss has put their top-four target under threat.

Anderson coach Mohamed Nizam admitted that they were beaten by a better team.

He also blamed his players’ profligacy for the loss.

“SSTMI were tactically and technically better than us. We had seven penalty corners but could not score,” he said.

“The two early goals – within the first 10 minutes – rattled our players and they never recovered from it.

“We now have the tough task of getting back on our feet for the game tomorrow (today) against the SSTMI Juniors. This is one match we cannot afford to lose.”

In another Division One match at the KL Hockey Stadium, KL Sports School-KLHC came back twice to hold Malacca High School to a 2-2 draw.

Mohd Ashraf Zuhry Mahat put Malacca ahead with a reverse stick shot in the 22nd minute before KLSS hit back two minutes later with a penalty corner goal by Mohd Khairol Amirin Abdul Jalil.

Malacca regained the lead through Mohd Nur Asyraf Ishak in the 27th minute (penalty corner), and again KL fought back to equalise through Mohd Nur Faiz Mohd Rosli’s 57th-minute field goal.


Most Viewed

Powered by