Sport

Published: Friday December 27, 2013 MYT 10:56:00 PM
Updated: Friday December 27, 2013 MYT 11:06:15 PM

MHC warning: Show up for meeting or be dropped

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) competitions committee have issued a stern warning to the teams for the 2014 MHC-MILO Junior Hockey League.

Teams who fail to attend the manager’s meeting or fail to submit their team lists on Saturday will be thrown out of the competition.

The decision to take a stricter stand was made at the committee’s meeting on Monday.

The team manager’s meeting is set for Saturday at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit jalil.

MHC competitions committee chairman and vice president M. Gobinathan said they do not want teams to complaint later that they were not aware of the rules and format of the competition.

“If teams do not submit their team list, entry fee or fail to turn up for the meeting as scheduled, then we have no choice but to leave them out.”

“In the past we have had teams who do not attend the meeting and later complained that they were not aware of the rules or guidelines,” he said.

This time they have had more than a month to confirm their team lists.

Closing of entries was on Dec 2.

On Saturday’s meeting the competitions committee will decide on the format for the new season. A record 31 teams have entered for the tournament, which was initiated in 1995.

Gobinathan said that while the large number of entries augurs well for the sport, it has however placed the MHC in a bind as the tournament will have to be completed by March 9 as the MSSM meet will be held two weeks later.

With the MJHL commencing on Jan 10, there are only some eight weekends for the competition to run and a break for Thaipusam (Jan 17) and Chinese New Year (Jan 31 and Feb 1).

“We need to look at the format as placing the teams in two pools in Division Two will mean a total of 132 matches at league stage alone,” said Gobinathan.

“We have several options to consider and will discuss it prior to the managers’ meeting. If the teams want an open draw then we will conduct it at the meeting itself.

“It is thus important that all team managers be present as we do not want them to raise any issues later.

“At the same time we want managers to be more responsible and not claim ignorance during the course of the competition.

Last year a total of 28 teams took part. Eight teams played in Division One while the other 20 were placed in two groups in Division Two.

Teams from all states in the peninsular are participating in the new season with Sabah and Sarawak missing out on the action.

Johor has the largest number of entries with six, followed by Kuala Lumpur (five), Perak (four), Penang and Selangor (three each), Pahang, Perlis and Negri Sembilan (two) while Malacca, Terengganu and Kelantan are fielding one team.

Teams making their debut in the tournament next year are KLSS Juniors-MSSS WP Juniors, Kuala Lumpur, MSSD Larut Matang and Selama, Perak, Persatuan Hoki Kota Star, Kedah, Permatang Juniors, Selangor, SMK Dato Bentara Luar Batu Pahat, SMK Dato Penggawa Barat Pontian, Politeknik Johor Baru, SMK Syed Hassan Perlis and Felda Hockey Academy Pahang.

advertisement

  1. One final push for Elvinn to represent country
  2. Nicol relaxed ahead of British Open
  3. No joke for United now as Moyes leaves Old Trafford
  4. Not as easy as ABC for Malaysian shuttlers
  5. Man Utd sack David Moyes
  6. David Moyes parts ways with Manchester United, Ryan Giggs temporarily takes charge
  7. Moyes facing sack at Manchester United - UK media
  8. JDT axe under-par Argentine Aimar
  9. Footie camp for 65 boys

advertisement

advertisement