Home > Sport > Golf
Wednesday July 9, 2014 MYT 12:39:29 AM
Wednesday July 9, 2014 MYT 12:40:30 AM
(Reuters) - World number 19 Steve Stricker will miss next week's British Open at Hoylake after deciding not to take up his exemption, organisers said in a statement on Tuesday.
The 47-year-old American, a part-time player in recent seasons who also missed the Open championship in 2013, is replaced by Ryo Ishikawa of Japan.
Stricker told reporters at last week's Greenbrier Classic in West Virginia that he was undecided whether to make the trip across the Atlantic for the year's third major.
"I'm not sure about the British yet but still looking forward to playing four or five tournaments before the year's out, or maybe six, and see what happens from here on out," Stricker said.
"I'm leaning on not going. That is my gut instinct right now. It will be a last-minute decision probably."
Stricker, who qualified for the Open through his world ranking, has made the cut in all eight of his U.S. PGA Tour starts this season, recording one top-10 finish and four more in the top-25.
The Open at Royal Liverpool Golf Club starts on July 17.
(Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Tony Jimenez)
Strong finish puts Tseng one ahead in Alabama
Mahan's time of the year - FedExCup playoffs
Love turns back the clock at Wyndham, Tiger fades
Nicholas snatches lead at Orna as Brandon suffers meltdown
Four-time winner Jimenez to swing for more at Hong Kong Open
Five unusual ways to build endurance for a marathon
Chua: Treasury to look into the matter following appeals
UTAR students graduate from several new programmes
Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)