Home > Sport > Football
Tuesday May 20, 2014 MYT 5:24:00 AM
Tuesday May 20, 2014 MYT 3:28:32 PM
by tim hanlon
Former Barcelona player Luis Enrique has been appointed as coach at the Nou Camp, replacing Tata Martino who left last week. - EPA
(Reuters) - Former midfielder Luis Enrique has signed a two-year deal to coach Barcelona, the La Liga club said on Monday.
The 44-year-old replaces Gerardo Martino, who stepped down on Saturday after just one season in charge having failed to win a major trophy.
"Luis Enrique has been chosen as the new first team trainer having been given the backing of sports director Andoni Zubizarreta," Barca said in a statement.
"Luis Enrique will sign a contract with FC Barcelona for the next two seasons."
Barcelona also confirmed the signing of keeper Marc-Andre Ter Stegen from Borussia Monchengladbach and the return of Rafa Alcantara and Gerard Deulofeu who have been out on loan at Celta Vigo and Everton respectively.
(Editing by Pritha Sarkar)
No cheers for Malaysia despite win
Conte in unforgiving mood on critics, wants to work in peace
Newcastle announce record profits
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Sigh of relief in Baram
Chinese carpooling app Dida in partnership talks with Uber: investor
TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Award for Destinations 2015
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)