Home > Sport > Football
Friday March 28, 2014 MYT 6:59:00 PM
Friday March 28, 2014 MYT 7:00:08 PM
by eric samuel
PETALING JAYA: Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir is not interested in contesting for the deputy president’s post in the FA of Malaysia’s (FAM) congress-cum-elections on May 25.
The Kedah FA president admitted being surprised when he heard that he had been nominated for the FAM No. 2 post.
“I have made a decision not to vie for the position. The FAM have been notified of this decision,” said Mukhriz on Friday, after receiving RM250,000 in sponsorship from the Naza Group in Shah Alam.
A total of 14 candidates were nominated to contest for the two deputy presidents’ posts, including Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, former Selangor state assemblyman Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal, and Kelantan FA (Kafa) acting president Datuk Seri Affendi Hamzah.
Nominations closed on March 24. The final list of candidates will be released on April 19.
Mukhriz said he was not considering the post because of his own commitments with the Kedah FA.
He said that his priority is to see the state team, currently playing in the second-tier Premier League, gradually regain their position in the top flight.
Tags / Keywords:
football, FAM, Football Association of Malaysia, Mukhriz Mahathir
Tunku Ismail: I’m not disciplined enough to be FAM president
Status quo for FAM top post
FAM refuse to reveal nominations for president's post
FAM not keen on Desailly
Sultan Ahmad to defend FAM presidency
Newcastle's Gutierrez to return after beating cancer
Schuerrle happy to fight for his place at Chelsea
Rangers manager McCoist leaves club
Gladbach loanee Kramer extends Leverkusen deal
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Taiwan says Uber 'violating law' by operating without licence
Envoy to return as tour guide for Malaysians on trip to Philippines
Hottest beauty trends of 2014: Korean skincare routines
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)