Published: Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 11:43:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 11:55:26 PM

Forces gunned down in FA Cup

PETALING JAYA: Super League debutants Sime Darby FC lived up to their giant-killer tag in the FA Cup competition when they knocked out Armed Forces 2-1 in the first round at the Selayang Stadium.

Syrian midfielder Mahmoud Al Amna was the hero when he scored a brace in 15th and 86th minutes while former international Rezal Zambery Yahaya scored for the soldiers off a freekick in the 66th minute on Tuesday.

In 2012 Sime Darby, then a Premier League outfit, enjoyed a fairytale run en route to the final by beating three Super League teams before losing to Kelantan 1-0.

This is the third time that Forces have suffered a first-round exit in the FA Cup since 2012, having been knocked out by Perak in 2012 and Selangor last year.

Sime Darby will take on Felda United in the second round at the Selayang Stadium on Feb 4.

Felda knocked out Negri Sembilan 1-0, courtesy of a Mohd Shukor Adan goal in the 72nd minute at the Tuanku Abdul Rahman Stadium in Paroi.

Lions XII, meanwhile, made short work of Premier League outfit DRB Hicom FC 3-0 at the Bishan Stadium. The Singaporeans, parading a new-look team comprising mostly of the Young Lions (S-League) Project squad, scored through Suffian Annuar (28th), Gabriel Quak (53rd) and Faris Ramli (93rd).

In Kelana Jaya, Police advanced to the second round for the first time since 2010 when they edged SPA Putrajaya FC 1-0 at the MBPJ Stadium.

Maldives striker Ali Ashfaq scored the winner for Police in the 73rd minute.

Police are expecting better fortunes in the Premier League under new coach Dollah Salleh, who led Pahang to lift the coveted Malaysia Cup after 21 years last season.

For the record, Police were first round casualties in 2011 (lost to Perak 1-4), 2012 (Terengganu 0-4) and last year (Penang 1-2).

In Malacca, Mohd Farizal Rozali was the hero for Perlis when he scored a brace in their 2-1 win over the hosts at the Hang Jebat Stadium. Farizal was on target in the 34th and 50th minutes while Rashid Mahmud scored for the home team in the 41st minute.

In Alor Setar, Kedah began life as the Red Eagles with an impressive 4-0 win over Kuala Lumpur at the Darulaman Stadium.

After wasting a hatful of chances in the first half, Premier League side Kedah, who recently changed their nickname from Canaries to Red Eagles, pounced on their prey after the breather to score four times.

Khairol Helmi opened the scoring in the 58th minute, former international Khyril Muhymeen made it 2-0 in the 66th minute and Australian defender Adam Griffiths completed the scoring with a brace in the 68th and 77th minutes.

The anticipated protests in the stands by the Kedah fans who are still upset with their state FA for changing the team’s crest and nickname failed to materialise.

Instead, the 4,000-strong Kedah supporters at the Darulaman Stadium, most of them clad in jerseys bearing the old Kedah crest, got behind their team right from the start. Kedah were the away team last night as they share their ground with the FAM League’s Kuala Lumpur and fellow Premier League team Perlis this season.


Most Viewed

Powered by