Home > Sport
Friday January 17, 2014 MYT 6:22:01 PM
Friday January 17, 2014 MYT 6:22:12 PM
PARIS (Reuters) - Former world road race champion Alessandro Ballan has been handed a two-year ban after he was implicated in a doping ring, the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) said on Friday.
The Italian BMC rider, who won the 2008 world title on home soil and the Tour of Flanders the previous year, is one of several former and current Lampre team riders and staff associated with a doping investigation in Mantova, Italy.
The Italian Anti-Doping Tribunal found him guilty of violating article 2.2 of the World Anti-Doping Agency code relating to the "use or attempted use of banned substances".
He had been provisionally suspended by BMC - whom he joined in 2010 - in April that year but was allowed to return to action the following month when the investigation seemed to stall.
Also involved in the review are pharmacist Guido Nigrelli, who was banned for life, and physician Fiorenzo Egeo Bonazzi, who was handed a four-year suspension.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by John O'Brien)
Sponsor Saxo urges Tinkoff to find Riis solution
Cavendish says Olympic ambitions would harm career
Astana's fate not sealed yet, decision expected in two weeks
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
From the Galaxy S to the S6: Five years of innovation from Samsung
Star2 Monthly Challenge: Top tips for hiking
Weekend buffet caters to lovers of seafood and meat
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)