Home > Sport > Badminton
Friday July 4, 2014 MYT 8:39:00 PM
Saturday July 5, 2014 MYT 2:14:33 AM
by rajes paul
KUALA LUMPUR: Hosting three back-to-back Superseries tournaments is taking its toll on the players and organisers.
And the Badminton World Federation (BWF) are expected to come under fire for the tight scheduling.
Last month, most players have been competing in three consecutive Superseries – Japan Open (June 10-15), Indonesian Open (June 17-22) and the Australian Open (June 24-29).
First-time hosts Australian Open took the biggest hit when many players withdrew although the Aussies dangled US$750,000 (RM2.4mil) as prize money – one of the biggest payout in the circuit.
South Korean top men’s doubles pair Lee Yong-dae-Yoo Yeon-seong underlined their superiority when they won all three titles.
Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Ng Chin Chai said that it would be difficult for most players to peak in all three tournaments. He said that it would also be a nightmare for organisers as the top players tend to make last minute withdrawals and ultimately, the fans would not get their money’s worth.
“From the sports science perspective, it is definitely not good to participate in three tournaments in such a short period of time. Players may risk injury,” said Chin Chai.
“Unfortunately, next year, we will face the same situation as India, Malaysia and Singapore have been scheduled to stage the tournaments from March 24-29, March 31-April 5 and April 7-12 respectively.”
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)