Home > Sport > Badminton
Sunday April 6, 2014 MYT 6:43:00 PM
Sunday April 6, 2014 MYT 6:44:55 PM
by rajes paul
KUALA LUMPUR: A revamp in the Badminton World Federation (BWF) calendar next year has resulted in players enjoying a solid two-month break from any Superseries tournaments.
BWF announced on Sunday that the prestigious All-England will be the first BWF World Superseries event next year from March 3-8 in Birmingham.
Both the Malaysian Open and Korean Open, usually held in January, have been moved to a later date – thus giving the top players a good break for two months in January and February.
BWF’s secretary-general Thomas Lund said players had been asking for a break to rest after the hectic season every year and the world body had finally decided to make changes in their tournament calendar.
“This decision enables the players to refresh themselves after a hectic season this year which includes the 12-stop World Superseries and all the other major events like Thomas and Uber Cup Finals, World Championships, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and various continental championships,” said Lund.
He added that the complete tournament schedule for next year is still being finalised.
Besides the All-England, the BWF have also confirmed the slots for the Australian Open (May 26-31), Hong Kong Open (Nov 17-22) and the year-ending World Superseries Finals (in December, dates to be finalised).
Dubai will host the World Superseries Finals for four years – starting from Dec 17-21 this year.
Tags / Keywords:
badminton, world, series, BWF, All-England
European pairs dumped out, Nielsen-Pedersen advance
Match-fixing puzzles badminton great Khan
Kit and Ricky to work on youngsters
Use the system to beat match fixing, urged BWF boss
Haifeng wants another shot at Olympic glory
No more Dan in Denmark
Malaysians celebrate Deepavali in a joyous ambience
Travellers claim no Ebola screening
Ferragamo lovers can now walk in made-to-order Vara and Varina shoes
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)