Home > News > World
Sunday August 31, 2014 MYT 3:50:02 AM
Sunday August 31, 2014 MYT 3:51:09 AM
TUNIS (Reuters) - The Tunisian coast guard on Saturday recovered the bodies of 21 migrants, most probably Syrians, who drowned when their boat sank in the Mediterranean near the maritime border with Libya, officials said.
They said the total number of victims found after the sinking was 36, adding that the overcrowded boat probably started its ill-fated journey to Europe in neighbouring Libya, a frequent departure point for illegal migrants.
"The coast guard recovered on Saturday 21 other bodies. The death toll rose to 36," Mustapha Abd El Kabir, an official in Ben Guerdan city, said.
He added that among the dead were eight women and five children.
Migrants have been streaming out of North Africa in rickety boats in rising numbers for years. Italy now hosts over 108,000 of these boat people, Greece nearly 15,000 and Spain 1,800, the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR said on Tuesday.
Nearly 2,000 have drowned this year while risking the passage from Libya to Europe, it said.
Last week, a wooden boat carrying up to 200 migrants sank only a kilometre (half a mile) off the Libyan coast, the coast guard said.
(Reporting by Tarek Amara; Editing by Stephen Powell)
Pistorius arrives at court for verdict in murder trial
Putin orders combat readiness checks for troops in Russia's east
St. Louis grand jury weighs charges in Ferguson shooting
Islamic State releases video it says shows British journalist John Cantlie
More Russian troops in Crimea would undermine Ukraine ceasefire - NATO
Hong Kong police warn protesters against occupying buildings
Europe urges Georgia to avoid political 'revenge' in courts
Lesotho to hold elections two years early after attempted coup
Insight - Libya's runaway parliament seeks refuge in Tobruk bubble
Karzai brother, others still owe millions to Kabul Bank - Afghan watchdog
Syria Kurds say American joins fight against Islamic State
Messi serene over looming La Liga scoring record
Everybody's doing it: Smartphone gaming is global pastime
South African man pleads not guilty to two counts of firearms possession
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)