Home > News > World
Wednesday August 20, 2014 MYT 5:55:04 AM
Wednesday August 20, 2014 MYT 5:56:04 AM
CAIRO (Reuters) - The head Palestinian negotiator in Cairo, Azzam al-Ahmed, said on Wednesday that talks for a ceasefire in the Gaza conflict had failed and the delegates were leaving Egypt.
Speaking after a truce in the fighting lapsed at midnight (2100 GMT), Azzam al-Ahmed of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's mainstream Fatah movement, said "Israel thwarted the contacts that could have brought peace ... there was an Israeli decision to make the Cairo talks fail."
Israel withdrew its delegates from Egypt earlier in response to renewed rocket fire from Gaza.
(Reporting by Stephen Kalin; Writing by Allyn Fisher-Ilan; Editing by Chris Reese)
MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given access
Pakistan under pressure to save trade agenda at South Asia summit
Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted ferry crew
OPEC heading for no output cut despite oil price plunge
Argentine presidential aspirant Massa says would cut back state controls
Streets of Ferguson quiet after two nights of racial unrest
Eleven more spectacular places!
Hughes' fight for life enters third day
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)