Home > News > World
Tuesday July 29, 2014 MYT 4:00:13 AM
Tuesday July 29, 2014 MYT 4:01:17 AM
VALLETTA (Reuters) - A Maltese oil worker abducted by a Libyan militia 11 days ago was released unharmed on Monday and flown back to Malta.
Prime Minister Joseph Muscat welcomed worker Martin Galea on the tarmac at Malta airport and thanked the diplomatic service, the army and the Muslim community in Malta for helping secure his release.
The government said no ransom was paid for Galea's release. Officials said it was too early to say who had abducted him or why.
Galea said the Maltese consul in Tripoli, Marisa Farrugia, had saved his life. He did not elaborate.
"We will fill in the blanks only after the Security Service has spoken to him. So far what we know for a fact is that he has been released and that was our priority,” a Maltese government official said.
(Reporting by Christopher Scicluna; Editing by Tom Heneghan)
Rouhani speaks with French, British, Russian leaders as nuclear talks resume
U.S. understands Saudis' military action in Yemen - State Department
U.S. secretary of state, Iranian FM talk about Yemen - spokesman
Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air strikes on Houthi rebels
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait to strengthen oil security after Yemen strikes
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
We have the best defence in Europe, says Italy's Bonucci
London steps up fight for spoils from financial tech boom
Author Akhil Sharma wins Folio Prize for ‘Family Life’
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)