X Close

World

Published: Thursday June 19, 2014 MYT 5:50:01 PM
Updated: Thursday June 19, 2014 MYT 5:50:01 PM

Turkish PM says U.S. air strikes in Iraq could cause heavy casualties

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday U.S. air strikes on militants in Iraq could cause a high number of civilian deaths and that Washington did not view such a strategy favourably.

The Iraqi government made public on Wednesday its request for U.S. air strikes as its forces battle Sunni militants, but Washington has given no indication it will agree to attack.

Turkey has the second largest armed forces in the NATO military alliance after the United States and also hosts a major U.S. Air Force base at Incirlik in its south. It is seen as a potential participant in any international intervention in Iraq.

"America, with its current stance and the statements it has made, does not view such attacks positively," Erdogan told reporters in Ankara when asked about the possibility of U.S. air strikes.

"There are (militant) ISIL elements which are mixed in with the people. Such an operation could result in a serious number of deaths among civilians," he said.

The lightning offensive by militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and other Sunni fighters threatens to fragment Iraq and leaves Turkey facing a widening Islamist insurgency in two of its southern neighbours, with ISIL also making territorial gains in Syria near the Turkish border.

The insurgents are holding at least 80 Turkish nationals, 49 of them seized from its consulate in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul last week, including special forces soldiers, diplomats and children.

U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Iraqi request had included drone strikes and increased surveillance by U.S. drones, which have been flying over Iraq.

The U.S. Air Force has remotely piloted aircraft stationed at the Incirlik base, which have been used in the past for surveillance along the Turkish-Syrian border.

(Reporting by Gulsen Solaker; Writing by Daren Butler; Editing by Nick Tattersall and Toby Chopra)

advertisement

  1. Massive toll rate hike for Causeway users from Aug 1, including Singapore-bound vehicles
  2. Kindergarten teacher given leave to take top cop to court
  3. Betong blast: Avoid travelling to southern Thailand, says IGP
  4. Betong blast: 100kg homemade car bomb behind deadly explosion
  5. Betong blast: Car bomb kills three, Malaysian among 36 injured in southern Thailand
  6. IGP Khalid warns netizens not to spread false news of Selangor prince
  7. Selangor MB crisis: Hadi wants Khalid to continue as Mentri Besar
  8. 2014: A tragic year for aviation
  9. International community in awe of PM’s handling of MH17 tragedy
  10. Experts: Get set for an acute water shortage

advertisement

advertisement