Home > News > World
Wednesday June 18, 2014 MYT 1:10:02 PM
Wednesday June 18, 2014 MYT 1:11:49 PM
by michelle nichols
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States told the U.N. Security Council that a suspected ringleader of the deadly 2012 attack on its diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya had been planning to target more Americans and that justified his capture.
In a letter obtained by Reuters on Wednesday, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, notified the council of the capture on Sunday of Ahmed Abu Khatallah by U.S. special forces in Libya after an investigation identified him as a key figure in the 2012 attack that killed four Americans.
"The investigation also determined that he continued to plan further armed attacks against U.S. persons," Power wrote in the letter dated Tuesday.
"The measures we have taken to capture Abu Khatallah in Libya were therefore necessary to prevent such armed attacks, and were taken in accordance with the United States' inherent right of self-defence," she wrote.
Power said the United States was reporting the capture of Khatallah to the Security Council under Article 51 of the U.N. Charter, which requires that the body be notified immediately of measures taken by states in self-defence against armed attack.
The brief letter also said Khatallah would be presented to U.S. Federal Court for criminal prosecution.
(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)
South Africa's 'Rainbow Nation' turns dark as immigrant attacks rise
Hundreds drown off Libya, EU leaders forced to reconsider migrant crisis
Upset for Spain's ruling party seen in stronghold Valencia - poll
Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are U.S. 'myth'
Iraqi Kurdish forces widen buffer around oil-rich city of Kirkuk
Millionaire businessman wins Finland vote, eurosceptics take second place
‘Fifty Shades Of Grey’ brings sexy back to Vancouver
Hingis still all smiles after agonising near miss
What price, beauty?
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)