Home > News > World
Monday May 26, 2014 MYT 8:10:06 AM
Monday May 26, 2014 MYT 8:11:26 AM
BAMAKO (Reuters) - Fifty Malian soldiers died this week during a failed army attempt to seize the Tuareg separatist northern town of Kidal, the West African country's defence minister said on Sunday.
The fresh fighting on Wednesday, the worst since the government and separatist groups signed a preliminary peace agreement last year, threatened to sink struggling peace talks to end a long cycle of Tuareg uprisings.
"In terms of toll, we have recorded 50 deaths unfortunately," Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga said on Malian state television, adding that 40 others were wounded in the failed operation.
Maiga had previously said that 20 soldiers were killed in the combat and 30 were wounded.
The Malian army launched the assault on Kidal after clashes broke out last weekend during a visit to the town by new Prime Minister Moussa Mara.
The Tuareg separatist and the government agreed to a deal brokered by the African Union and the United Nations on Friday to permanently cease fire, exchange prisoners, restart peace talks and accept an international investigation into Wednesday fighting.
(Reporting by Tiemoko Diallo, writing by Bate Felix, editing by G Crosse)
Islamic State target Iraq's Haditha town with vehicle bombs
ECB keeps tight leash on Greece ahead of euro leaders' summit
Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare
Venezuela's Maduro says U.S. diplomatic channel 'working well'
Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
The 3 unexpected life events that leave us in debt
First water park in condo residence
BookFest@Malaysia 2015 is officially launched
Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg joins board of SurveyMonkey
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)