Home > News > World
Saturday May 17, 2014 MYT 9:16:00 AM
Saturday May 17, 2014 MYT 12:22:15 PM
NAIROBI: Ten people were killed and over 70 wounded Friday in two bomb attacks at a busy market in Nairobi, the latest in a wave of unrest blamed on Kenya's Islamist militants.
The twin bombings came as hundreds of British tourists were being evacuated from beach resorts near the port city of Mombasa after Britain's Foreign Office and other nations issued new travel warnings.
The National Disaster Operation Centre (NDOC) said the first blast in the capital occurred next to a 14-seater matatu, or public minibus, and the second was inside a shop in Gikomba Market close to Nairobi's central business district.
A spokesman at the Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi's main hospital, said eight bodies had brought in and "more than 70" people admitted for treatment, many of them in a serious condition.
The NDOC then revised the death toll up to 10, while another hospital said it had received around 14 patients.
"Many of the injured are bleeding profusely. We need a lot of blood," spokesman Simon Ithae told AFP as the hospital issued an appeal for donors.
Nairobi police chief Benson Kibue confirmed that two bombs had been used, and the area was littered with debris including clothing hurled into overhead power and telephone lines.
"Two IEDs were detonated simultaneously," Nairobi police chief Benson Kibue told reporters at the scene, trying to reassure an increasingly sceptical public that the security forces are in control.
"Don't panic. We are on top of things," he said. Police also said two suspects had been arrested.
The United States condemned the "latest in a series of cowardly attacks on innocent civilians in Kenya" as "despicable."
"As we have for half a century, the United States stands with our Kenyan friends and partners who continue to face adversity with courage and resolve," said National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden.
"We support them in their efforts to confront terrorism in all of its forms."
Earlier this month, three people were killed and 86 wounded in twin bus blasts in Nairobi that were blamed on militant cells connected with Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels. The previous day, twin attacks left four dead in Mombasa.
Kenya has been targeted by the Shebab since sending troops to war-torn Somalia in 2011. Kenyan soldiers are still posted in southern Somalia as part of an African Union force supporting the country's fragile internationally-backed government.
On Thursday and Friday, hundreds of British tourists were evacuated from beach resorts near Mombasa following new warnings of terror attacks from Britain's Foreign Office.
Australia, France and the United States also issued similar warnings this week to avoid Mombasa, and in some cases Nairobi.
Thomson and First Choice, which are owned by London-listed TUI Travel, Europe's biggest tour operator, said they had also decided to cancel all flights to the coastal city until November.
"As a precautionary measure, we have also taken the decision to repatriate all customers currently on holiday in Kenya back to the UK," Thomson and First Choice said in a statement.
The evacuation, which continued Friday, involved nearly 450 holidaymakers, company sources said.
The Kenyan government has expressed "disappointment" and has accused countries that are telling tourists to stay away of "unfriendly acts."
"Issuance of such travel advisories only plays to the whims of bad elements in society whose aim is to spread fear and panic," the government said.
Sam Ikwaye of the Kenya Association of Hotelkeepers and Caterers, said the evacuations were a "huge blow" to tourism, which directly or indirectly accounts for 14 percent of Kenya's economic output and roughly 12 percent of the workforce.
He said beach hotels in the region were now facing a drop in revenue of up to 70 percent, and that he feared that "the decision by the British is likely to influence other countries to do the same."
Last month, Kenya confirmed that the number of foreign visitors to the country - a top safari and beach destination - slumped by 11 percent in 2013, when the country was gripped by fears of election-related political violence.
Tags / Keywords:
Kenya, attacks, blasts, World
S.Korea accuses North of cyber-attacks on nuclear plants
Nine hurt in bomb blasts in Pattani
Casting aspersions on PM’s integrity
Japan to give $15mn to fight terror in Mideast, Africa: report
Australia police thwart terror attack on Sydney
Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
Arab summit agrees on unified military force for crises
Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina - newspaper
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Ferrari end win drought with Sepang success
Platform for firms to showcase latest building and construction products
A young boy indulges in the ancient art of Japanese paper-folding
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)