Home > News > World
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 11:00:02 AM
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 11:01:28 AM
SEOUL (Reuters) - (This story from April 24 is corrected to attribute comment in lead paragraph to male crew member, not female)
A member of crew of a South Korean ferry that sank last week said on Thursday he and his colleagues were "under command" to abandon ship.
The Sewol, weighing almost 7,000 tonnes, sank on a routine trip from the port of Incheon, near Seoul, to the southern holiday island of Jeju. Investigations are focused on human error and mechanical failure.
The unidentified crew member, speaking briefly to reporters on the way from court back into detention, was speaking behind a surgical mask and wearing a baseball cap with a jacket hood.
More than 300 people, most of them students and teachers from the same school, are dead or missing presumed dead in the April 16 disaster.
As the ferry began sinking, the crew told the children to stay in their cabins.
(Writing by Nick Macfie; Editing by David Chance)
South Korean crew member says 'we were ordered' to leave sinking ferry
South Korea indicts four ferry crew members for homicide
One person found dead in sinking South Korean ferry - coast guard
South Korea's Park says conduct of ferry crew tantamount to murder
Crew of doomed South Korea ferry drank beer while awaiting rescue - media
U.N. committee spotlights 'highly intrusive' digital spying
Exclusive: U.S. to leave more troops in Afghanistan than first planned - sources
Argentina's Fernandez, back on job after infection, vows to fight hedge funds
Italy's Renzi clears hurdle in parliament on labour law
Spain urges Cuba to grant free travel to dissidents
Sierra Leone Ebola burial workers dump bodies in pay protest
A different take on telling time
Ibrahimovic inspires PSG to 3-1 win against Ajax
The trials and tribulations of Sarajevo are being replaced with good tidings
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)