Home > News > World
Thursday April 24, 2014 MYT 1:21:21 PM
Thursday April 24, 2014 MYT 1:22:43 PM
SEOUL (Reuters) - A member of crew of a South Korean ferry that sank last week said on Thursday she and her colleagues were "under command" to abandon ship.
The Sewol, weighing almost 7,000 tons, sank on a routine trip from the port of Incheon, near Seoul, to the southern holiday island of Jeju. Investigations are focused on human error and mechanical failure.
The unidentified crew member, speaking briefly to reporters on the way from court back into detention, was speaking behind a surgical mask and wearing a baseball cap with a jacket hood.
More than 300 people, most of them students and teachers from the same school, are dead or missing presumed dead in the April 16 disaster.
As the ferry began sinking, the crew told the children to stay in their cabins.
(Writing by Nick Macfie; Editing by David Chance)
Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist's slaying
Ringleader of Paris attacks planned more strikes, mocked open borders - sources
France can only work with Syrian army as part of a power transition - Fabius
Syria minister says welcomes French suggestion of working with Syrian troops
Lebanon PM urges presidential vote after new push to find candidate
Eight experiences you can’t miss when in Australia
Ten teens score victory in Girl Guide challenge
Two steps to radiant eyes
Murray rises above the din as tempers fray
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)