X Close

World

Published: Thursday April 3, 2014 MYT 6:30:00 AM
Updated: Thursday April 3, 2014 MYT 8:04:22 AM

Fort Hood orders lockdown amid reports of shooting

The main gate to Fort Hood military base in Texas. - AFP filepic

The main gate to Fort Hood military base in Texas. - AFP filepic

Los Angeles (AFP) - Several people were injured and one reported killed Wednesday at Fort Hood in a shooting on the US military base, scene of a deadly 2009 rampage, officials said.

"There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported," the base said in a statement, adding that emergency crews were on the scene.

"All personnel on post are asked to shelter in place," the US base, where an army officer killed 13 people five years ago, said on its Twitter feed.

At least one person was taken to hospital, according to reports cited by the local KCEN TV station, showing emergency vehicles racing to the scene. One person was shot in the chest, it reported.

The San Antonio TV station KENS5 TV cited Fort Hood officials as saying one person was killed. Officials could not immediately confirm casualty details.

CNN reported that a shooter -- there were reports of possibly a second gunman -- had been shot, possibly by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It was not clear if the gunman could be the reported fatality.

CNN said up to 15 people had been injured. Other media reports put the figure at eight.

A soldier told the TV station that there appeared to be a standoff.

"Immediately heard four gun shots and assumed they were blank rounds," the unidentified soldier said. "We then heard a burst, another burst and it was clear they weren't blank rounds. They were live rounds."

The White House said President Barack Obama had been briefed on the ongoing situation.

"He'll continue to receive updates on the situation throughout the evening," said a White House spokesman, Josh Earnest.

The Pentagon said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel would also be kept up to date "as events unfold," said a spokesman.

The spokesman declined to comment on casualty reports.

A spokesman for nearby Bell County Sheriff's department, Donnie Adams, told AFP that the military base had asked for assistance.

Police in nearby Waco also said injuries were reported.

"Authorities are advising those on post to stay away from windows, keep doors closed and locked. Injuries are being reported," it tweeted.

A witness described a suspected gunman as being a white male in a gray Toyota car, using a .45 pistol, KCEN TV said, adding that he was believed to have been in a medical building on the base.

On November 5, 2009, Major Nidal Hasan opened fire at a medical facility in the sprawling Fort Hood base that serves as a staging point for soldiers to deploy to combat zones.

Twelve of the dead and 30 of the wounded were soldiers. Hasan was shot by a civilian police officer who responded to the attack.


Tags / Keywords: Fort Hood, shooting

advertisement

  1. Massive toll rate hike for Causeway users from Aug 1, including Singapore-bound vehicles
  2. Betong blast: Two Malaysians among 36 injured
  3. Betong blast: Avoid travelling to southern Thailand, says IGP
  4. Betong blast: 100kg homemade car bomb behind deadly explosion
  5. Betong blast: Car bomb kills three, Malaysian among 36 injured in southern Thailand
  6. IGP Khalid warns netizens not to spread false news of Selangor prince
  7. Selangor MB crisis: Hadi wants Khalid to continue as Mentri Besar
  8. 2014: A tragic year for aviation
  9. International community in awe of PM’s handling of MH17 tragedy
  10. Experts: Get set for an acute water shortage

advertisement

advertisement