Home > News > World
Sunday March 30, 2014 MYT 5:20:14 PM
Sunday March 30, 2014 MYT 5:21:08 PM
MADRID (Reuters) - Two Spanish journalists held hostage in Syria by an al Qaeda-linked militant group for 194 days have been freed and handed over to the Turkish military in good health, one of the men told his employer El Mundo newspaper.
El Mundo Middle East correspondent Javier Espinosa called the newspaper's newsroom late on Saturday to say he and freelance photographer Ricardo Garcia Vilanova had been released and to inform their families.
Spain's Foreign Ministry confirmed the men had been freed, but gave no further details.
The two men were captured September 16 by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) rebel group at the checkpoint Tal Abyad in the Raqqa province on the border with Turkey.
Their kidnapping had been kept quiet until December 10 at the request of their families because of negotiations with the rebels holding the men.
They had been travelling with members of the rebel Free Syrian Army, who were also taken by ISIL but released after 12 days.
The journalists had been attempting to leave Syria after two weeks covering the conflict when they were taken, the newspaper said.
(Reporting by Paul Day; Editing by Alison Williams)
Iraq special forces advance in Tikrit, U.S. coalition joins fight
Apple's Tim Cook will give away all his money - Fortune
Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid - U.N.
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Rainie Yang promises even more love ballads
UCTS buildings designed to keep out heat, save energy
Late starter Hoffman moves one ahead at Texas Open
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)