X Close

World

Published: Friday March 28, 2014 MYT 3:11:35 PM
Updated: Friday March 28, 2014 MYT 3:12:47 PM

Turkey sacks defence official involved in China missile talks

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey has removed Murad Bayar, Defence Ministry undersecretary for the state-run defence industries, from his post with immediate effect, the official gazette showed on Thursday.

The ministry did not give a reason for the decision. Bayar had been influential in Turkey's negotiations with China over the procurement of a missile defence system.

Turkey's NATO allies voiced concern when it said in September it had chosen China's FD-2000 missile defence system over rival offers from the Franco/Italian Eurosam SAMP/T and U.S.-listed Raytheon Co. It said China had offered the most competitive terms and would allow co-production in Turkey.

(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

advertisement

  1. UM lecturer Azmi Sharom faces sedition charge
  2. MH17: Names of nine returning victims released
  3. A joyous Merdeka celebration
  4. Cops arrest 156 voluntary patrol members after state-level Merdeka procession
  5. Two youths killed in crash while racing in their Evo
  6. They acted like gangsters, IGP Khalid says of PPS
  7. World champion still a dream for Chong Wei
  8. Proton offers sneak peek of new compact car
  9. Cops swoop in to arrest PPS members after Penang Merdeka parade
  10. Riot erupts after Sarawak-Perak football match in Kuching

advertisement

advertisement