Home > News > World
Wednesday March 12, 2014 MYT 1:57:11 AM
Wednesday March 12, 2014 MYT 1:58:21 AM
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian forces killed a suspected insurgent in a shootout in the streets of Cairo on Tuesday, the interior ministry said.
The man was suspected of involvement in the bombing of a security compound in central Cairo in January in which four people were killed, an attack that showed the capability of militants to strike beyond the Sinai peninsula where their insurgency has intensified in recent months.
The ministry said Mohamed El-Sayed Mansour El-Toukhy - also known as Abu Obaida, according to state media - opened fire on security forces as they tried to arrest him in Cairo's Ain Shams district.
"El-Toukhy belongs to the most dangerous terrorist elements and was involved in committing (the crime of) bombing Cairo's security directorate," the ministry said.
At least two South Korean tourists and an Egyptian were killed by a bomb on a bus in South Sinai, near the Israeli border, last month.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)
Iranian parliamentary panel gives conditional nod to nuclear deal
Middle East would be more stable if Saddam, Gaddafi still in power - Trump
Death toll in French Riviera floods rises to at least 16, natural disaster declared
Cameron says Russian military action in Syria a 'terrible mistake'
Assad says Russian air campaign vital to save Middle East
EU and Turkey have struck plan to stem flow of migrants - newspaper
Crunch to crunch for Wallabies after England triumph
Winning dishes on the menu
Prizes galore for visitors
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)