Home > News > World
Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 4:05:02 AM
Saturday February 8, 2014 MYT 4:06:05 AM
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Two Italian construction workers abducted three weeks ago in Libya have been released after joint efforts by the two governments, Italian and Libyan officials said on Friday.
Details of their release were not immediately clear. The two men were kidnapped last month in Derna, east of Benghazi, where they had been working at a cement factory.
Italy's foreign ministry said on its website the two men were on their way back to Rome, without giving further details.
Derna is a hotbed of Islamist militant activity. But a local political activist said the men may have been snatched as part of a tribal dispute over jobs at the cement factory.
Nearly three years after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi, Libya's government is struggling to impose its authority on former rebels, armed groups and militants who once battled Gaddafi and now refuse to disarm.
Foreigners have been targeted for abductions by criminal gangs and for political purposes. A Korean trade mission official was snatched for a few days last month.
Gunmen in January kidnapped five Egyptian diplomats to demand the release of a Libyan militia commander who had been arrested in Egypt. They were released a day after and the militia leader returned to Tripoli.
(Reporting by Patrick Markey and Ghaith Shennib; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)
U.N. calls on Israel, Palestinians to prosecute Gaza war crimes
Israel accuses Hamas of aiding Islamic State in Egypt
Tsipras dismisses Europe's warnings to Greece on vote
Ecuador, first stop on Pope tour, highlights environment exhortation
Celebrate Raya in style with GEMFIVE
The 3 unexpected life events that leave us in debt
Wee: Don’t kill tour industry with bad news
Ignite your digital marketing skills with Google
Loving Malaysia, warts and all
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)