Home > News > World
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 10:36:03 PM
Friday February 7, 2014 MYT 10:37:00 PM
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen will not face the death penalty, India's attorney general said on Friday.
India's home ministry has altered a sanction given last month to the country's National Investigation Agency, which had originally granted permission to charge the men under a strict maritime security law carrying the death penalty, Goolam E. Vahanvati told Reuters.
"The sanction had included the death penalty, and they have withdrawn that," Vahanvati said, adding that the men will still be tried under this law but will not face the gallows.
(Reporting by Shyamantha Asokan; editing by Malini Menon)
Iraqi officer under Saddam masterminded rise of Islamic State - Spiegel
India's enigmatic Gandhi fires up opposition at farmers rally
South Africa's 'Rainbow Nation' turns dark as immigrant attacks rise
EU leaders call for emergency talks after 700 migrants drown off Libya
Sudan's Bashir heads to Indonesia in rare long-distance trip
Upset for Spain's ruling party seen in stronghold Valencia - poll
City's Silva taken to hospital with cheek injury
China's incredible shrinking factory
Bring in more Chinese and Indian tourists, says Adenan
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)