Home > News > World
Monday January 27, 2014 MYT 2:35:01 AM
Monday January 27, 2014 MYT 2:35:52 AM
GENEVA (Reuters) - Syrian deputy foreign minister Faysal Mekdad said on Sunday that the Assad government will allow women and children to leave besieged city of Homs immediately if rebels give them passage.
"I assure you that if the armed terrorists in Homs allow women and children to leave the Old City of Homs, we will allow them every access, not only that, we will provide them with shelter, medicines and all that is needed," he told a news conference after talks in Geneva with the Syrian opposition.
"We are ready to allow any humanitarian aid to enter into the city through the agreements and arrangements made with the U.N.," he said.
Mekdad also said that photos published last week by Britain's Guardian newspaper of some 11,000 corpses, purportedly tortured by Syrian government forces in custody, were "categorically" fabricated.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis; writing by Stephanie Nebehay)
Aid convoy stalled as Syrian government demands assurances
Botswana president's party secures election victory
U.S. recognises gay marriages in six more states
Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
Mauritania closes border with Mali over Ebola fears
Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai attacks
Brazil's election too close to call on eve of runoff
Success stories: Malaysian horror fiction, a growing genre
Angry Birds Park to open Friday in JB
Caribbean’s fortress of attraction in St Kitts
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)