Home > News > World
Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 5:25:01 AM
Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 5:25:52 AM
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday withdrew an offer for Iran to attend Syria peace negotiations after Tehran declared it does not support the June 2012 political transition deal that is the basis for the talks.
"He (Ban) continues to urge Iran to join the global consensus behind the Geneva communiqué," Ban's spokesman Martin Nesirky said. "Given that it has chosen to remain outside that basic understanding, (Ban) has decided that the one-day Montreux gathering will proceed without Iran's participation."
Ban said earlier that Iran's public statement that it did not support the 2012 Geneva deal calling for a transitional government for Syria was "not consistent" with assurances he had been given by Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
(Reporting by Michelle Nichols and Louis Charbonneau)
Tales of crime and struggle in Nairobi's bustling slums
EU sounds alarm as internal barriers rise in refugee crisis
Pope lands in Africa hoping to bridge Christian-Muslim faultlines
U.S. probe says Afghan hospital strike was tragic accident
Russia says downing of its jet won't deflect it from Syria mission
Five reasons Malaysia is a top talent destination
New generation focus of watch and jewellery showcase
Australia to use drones to track sharks from the air
No rest for Joseline and Co as they shoot for Rio
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)