Home > News > World
Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 6:00:02 PM
Tuesday January 21, 2014 MYT 6:00:56 PM
by dylan welch
KABUL (Reuters) - Unknown gunmen on Tuesday seized more than 60 Afghan workers clearing Soviet-era anti-tank mines in western Herat province, the largest mass kidnapping undertaken in an economically important area now beset by security problems.
Herat, which borders Iran, has long been plagued by kidnappings. But a sharp downturn in security in the traditionally safe province would be a worrying sign ahead of the departure of most foreign forces by the end of this year.
More than 60 Afghans working for the British demining group The Halo Trust had arrived at a village in Pashtun Zarghun district before 8 a.m. to begin clearing anti-tank mines let over from the 10-year Soviet occupation of the 1980s.
"When they arrived, armed people on motorbikes came and forced them to get into their vehicles and made them drive to a nearby village," The Halo Trust's country director, Farid Homayoun, told Reuters.
The kidnappers forced the deminers out of the cars and marched them towards nearby mountains. They have not been seen since.
"Some deminers were able to escape but over 60 staff are still with those people and at the moment the local shura are in negotiation for their release," Homayoun said, using the Afghan word for council.
Provincial police have been sent to the village. No one has claimed responsibility for the kidnappings.
A small group of deminers was held for a week by Taliban fighters in more volatile southern Kandahar district in April last year before being released.
In Herat, a commercial hub, kidnappers have generally targeted rich business people or their families, with residents staging strikes and protests to draw attention to the issue.
Bombings and insurgent attacks had been infrequent in Herat until recently, but security has deteriorated sharply in recent months. Residents told Reuters it had become dangerous to travel through districts bordering the provinces of Farah and Baghdis.
More than 60 deminers briefly seized in mass Afghan kidnapping
Nigerian security investigating possible mass kidnapping -source
Sri Lanka to probe mass grave with more than 150 dead
More than 20,000 Syrian refugees cross into Iraq - U.N.
Civilian deaths in Afghanistan war reach new high in 2014 - U.N.
Cuba's Raul Castro steps out of brother's shadow with U.S. deal
FBI concludes North Korean government responsible for Sony cyber attack
Iraqi Kurds claim more territory after breaking siege of Sinjar
Ladies, time to stand up and fight for your man
Looking out for your ears
Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Networks in merger talks
Johannesburg – Africa’s most visited city
'Celtic Tiger' McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)