Home > News > World
Wednesday September 18, 2013 MYT 4:21:19 PM
Wednesday September 18, 2013 MYT 4:22:22 PM
Teenagers pass election posters of Social Democratic top candidate Peer Steinbrueck (SPD) (L) and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) in Hamburg, September 17, 2013. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer
BERLIN (Reuters) - Angela Merkel's centre-right coalition slipped behind Germany's combined centre-left opposition parties in a poll published on Wednesday, indicating her conservatives would be unable to form a majority with their Free Democrat partners.
In an Allensbach poll for the conservative Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung daily, the chancellor's conservatives shed a point to 39 percent while the FDP were steady at 6 percent, giving a combined 45 percent for the centre-right.
The main opposition Social Democrats (SPD) gained one point to 26 percent and their Greens partners weakened to 11 percent from 12.5. The hardline Left rose 1.5 points to 9 percent.
That would give the opposition a combined 46 percent - but the SPD and Greens both rule out a coalition with the Left, meaning one possible scenario is that Merkel could have to team up with the SPD in a repeat of the 2005-2009 'grand coalition'.
(Reporting by Alexandra Hudson)
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)