X Close

Regional

Published: Friday September 5, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Friday September 5, 2014 MYT 7:29:12 AM

Jail for jobless man who issued false bomb threat

A JOBLESS man who made a false bomb threat at an MRT station and caused wastage of police resources has been sentenced to eight months’ jail.

Imran Othman, 40, told the station master at Choa Chu Kang station: “Beg saya ada bom (There is a bomb in my bag)” at 9.50am on Jan 31.

He admitted he was joking after the station master responded in a serious manner and then left the station, but was arrested when he returned about four hours later.

Calling for a jail term of at least six months, Deputy Public Prosecutor James Low said that such threats should be taken seriously, especially if they concerned public transport and safety.

He added that considerable resources had been wasted to follow up on the false threat, including the activation of the police K-9 unit and other units to check Choa Chu Kang and other MRT stations.

Imran was sentenced to two more months in prison for kicking an officer on April 3 in the lock-up zone of Jurong Police Division, and one month for the theft of a S$139 (RM350) jacket from Top Shop at Ion Orchard mall, committed two weeks later.

His total sentence is 10 months’ jail after the court ordered the theft imprisonment term to run concurrently with the other two. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network

Tags / Keywords: Singapore, jobless man, false bomb threat

advertisement

Most Viewed

advertisement

advertisement