Home > News > Regional
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 8:17:06 AM
KARACHI: Rescuers recovered two more bodies from rough seas off Pakistan’s biggest city Karachi as the search for a group of bathers who drowned earlier this week continued, officials said, raising the death toll to 37.
Dozens of people drowned off the Arabian Sea shore on Wednesday after defying a swimming ban during the monsoon season.
The bathers were among thousands who had taken to the beaches to celebrate the Hari Raya Aidilfitri holidays marking the end of Ramadan.
“The number of people who died after drowning in the sea reached 37 after navy rescuers pulled out two more bodies,” Shoaib Ahmed Siddiqui, Karachi’s top administrator said.
“We will continue the search operation until all the bodies have been recovered but it is difficult to say how many people are still missing,” he added.
Navy helicopters and speed boats led the search operation, both along the coast and in the open ocean.
The relatives of some of the missing were still at the beach, anxiously waiting for word of their loved ones.
Thousands of residents regularly throng Karachi’s beaches on public holidays, which has few public parks available for picnics.
But safety standards are very low with the few lifeguards on duty often unable to exert any authority. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
SEA Games priority for Malaysian shooters
Marathon swimmer Heidi does Malaysia proud again
Euro trip for Beng Hai boys ahead of World Hockey League
Eco World buying land in Penang for RM730.9mil
Dangerous radioactive material stolen in Mexico
Finland's opposition Centre Party tops advanced voting ahead of election
Economic victory fails to deliver popularity boost for Hungary's Orban
Yemen's Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade
Spain's latest political upstart rides high on message of moderation
Iraqi officer under Saddam masterminded rise of Islamic State - Spiegel
Millionaire businessman wins Finland election
Bring in more Chinese and Indian tourists, says Adenan
No let-up in MH370 search
Sorry Newcastle are not good enough, says Carver
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)