Home > News > Regional
Thursday July 31, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday July 31, 2014 MYT 8:07:35 AM
Staying informed: Buddhist monks reading court documents during a break at the hearing against Khieu Samphan (inset) in Phnom Penh. - AP
PHNOM PENH: Cambodia’s UN-backed Khmer Rouge court began a second trial of two former regime leaders on charges including genocide of Vietnamese people and ethnic Muslims, forced marriages and rape.
The complex case of the regime’s two most senior surviving leaders has been split into a series of smaller trials, initially focusing on the forced evacuation of people into rural labour camps and related crimes against humanity.
The first trial against “Brother Number Two” Nuon Chea, 88, and former head of state Khieu Samphan, 83, was completed late last year, with the verdict – and possible sentences – set to be delivered on Aug 7.
At the opening hearing of the second trial yesterday, judge Nil Nonn read out the charges against both suspects as more than 300 people watched the proceedings from the court’s public gallery.
Nuon Chea did not attend the hearing for health reasons, while Khieu Samphan sat in court alongside his defence team.
During the inaugural session of the second trial, which focuses on genocide and other crimes against humanity, judges will discuss issues such as reparations for victims.
“The second trial is equally important as the first, and more victims and witnesses will have the opportunity to testify about their experiences and suffering during the Khmer Rouge regime, on a broader range of criminal allegations,” court spokesman Lars Olsen said.
The mass killings of an estimated 100,000 to 500,000 ethnic Cham Muslims and 20,000 Vietnamese form the basis of the genocide charges against Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan.
Before these charges were filed, the treatment of the minority Muslim group and Vietnamese community was rarely discussed.
The pair also face a string of other charges for the deaths of up to two million people through starvation, overwork or execution during the Khmer Rouge’s 1975-1979 rule.
Most of these deaths do not fall under the charge of genocide, which is defined by the United Nations as “acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group”.
It is not known how long the second trial will last, but Olsen estimated it may go on until 2016 with hearings covering crimes committed at Khmer Rouge labour camps and prisons including the notorious Tuol Sleng, also known as S-21.
“This trial is very important for me as a victim who lost both parents in Tuol Sleng,” said 45-year-old Norng Chan Phal, one of just a handful of survivors from the prison.
“Those who committed genocide and killed their own people must be punished seriously.” — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Five Cambodians jailed for stealing Buddha relics
Cambodia seizes 1.5 tonnes of marijuana worth RM29.5mil
Cambodia seizes 1.5 tonnes of marijuana worth $7mil
‘First Lady’ of Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge dies at 83
Fugitive Cambodian ex-governor hands self in over shooting
Mexico president reshuffles cabinet, finance, interior ministers stay put
North Korea leader Kim Jong Un hails accord with South as landmark
Scientists solve mystery of polar bear Knut's death
Colombia and Venezuela recall ambassadors amid border crisis
Saudi King Salman to meet Obama at White House on Sept. 4
Five unusual ways to build endurance for a marathon
Does your phone limit your ‘technostress’?
Chua: Treasury to look into the matter following appeals
Dining with a view of KL
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)