Home > News > Regional
Friday July 11, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday July 11, 2014 MYT 6:54:45 AM
A father's pain: Huh sitting outside Jindo gymnasium where he has been waiting for some three months as recovery operations on the ferry continue. - AFP
JINDO: When steel worker Huh Hong-hwan heard his teenaged daughter might be trapped in a sinking ferry, he didn’t hesitate.
He jumped in his car and drove, sick with anxiety and panic, for five hours down to the southern island of Jindo where the rescue operation for South Korea’s worst peacetime disaster was gearing up.
Nearly three months later, he’s still there.
“I never thought I would be waiting for her this long,” the 50-year-old said at a gymnasium that has been his home since the 6,825-tonne Sewol ferry capsized on April 16 with 476 passengers and crew.
“I’m totally exhausted, but parents can’t give up on their children even if the whole world does,” Huh said.
He is one of around 30 relatives who have maintained a bitter, defiant vigil in Jindo, as divers continue the increasingly desperate, dangerous search for the last remaining bodies trapped in the sunken vessel.
Just over 300 people died, the vast majority high school students on an organised outing.
A total of 172 were rescued before the ferry sank and a massive recovery effort involving hundreds of divers working in near zero visibility has since retrieved 293 bodies.
But 11 victims – including Huh’s daughter – are still unaccounted for.
Any hope of finding survivors inside the upturned vessel vanished within days of the accident, but the families of those missing are refusing to give up the search for a body they can bury and grieve over.
The last body to be recovered was more than two weeks ago on June 24 and there is no guarantee that the 11 missing are even inside the ferry.
Several bodies have been picked up dozens of kilometres away, suggesting a significant number may have been pulled out to sea by the powerful currents.
The 11 include five high school students and two teachers, one crew member and three other passengers.
In order to maintain a full-time vigil, some family members have quit their jobs and the lonely wait has taken its toll.
In the immediate aftermath of the sinking, the Jindo gymnasium had resembled a refugee camp, packed with distraught relatives and a small army of volunteers helping to feed and comfort them.
But now the place is nearly empty and the default setting is of absolute silence, bar the muffled sound from a giant TV screen.
The screen had been brought in months ago to feed live pictures of the recovery effort at the offshore disaster site. Now it is tuned to a news channel showing updates from the World Cup in Brazil.
There is nothing for the exhausted-looking family members to do, beyond sitting or walking aimlessly around the echoing gym.
“I never imagined the simple act of waiting could be this painful,” said Kwon Oh-bok, a 59-year-old who lost a younger brother, sister-in-law and six-year-old nephew in the disaster.
His days revolve around sleeping on a mattress laid out on the floor of the gym, eating meals provided by volunteers, attending daily meetings with rescue authorities, and endless hours of waiting.
“I’m so worried I’ll be the last one left,” he said, echoing a fear shared by many of the remaining relatives.
Kwon bristled at the idea of giving up, and said any move to call time on the recovery effort would feel like a death sentence.
“No one would give up if they were in my shoes,” he said, urging the government to step up search operations.
In the first few weeks, dozens of bodies were being brought up, but only five were recovered in the entire month of June.
Two divers have died and many others have had to be replaced because of sickness or exhaustion.
Although Huh insist he will never give up, he admits to moments of doubt when he fears his daughter’s remains have been lost for good. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)