Home > News > Regional
Monday June 23, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday June 23, 2014 MYT 9:15:10 AM
SEOUL: South Korean troops traded fire near an elementary school with a cornered conscript soldier who had fled after shooting dead five members of his unit on the border with North Korea.
The 23-year-old army sergeant, surnamed Lim, had opened fire on fellow soldiers at a guard post on the eastern section of the heavily guarded frontier Saturday night.
The shooting spree left five dead and seven wounded – and triggered a massive manhunt after Lee fled the scene armed with a K-2 assault rifle and a stash of ammunition.
A defence ministry spokesman said Lim, who had an apparent record of instability, had been tracked and cornered just before 2.30pm yesterday to a location 10km from the border.
“He shot at the pursuing troops and they returned fire,” the spokesman said, adding that one officer had been wounded in the arm.
“The situation is still ongoing,” he said.
Yonhap news agency said Lim’s parents had been brought to the scene and had pleaded with their son to surrender.
Kim So-rae, a college student who lives in a nearby village, said she had heard at least three separate exchanges of gunfire.
“It’s pretty scary,” she told YTN television shortly before the army ordered the villagers to evacuate their homes.
According to the military, Lim was due to be discharged in the next few months after completing his compulsory military service.
All those killed or wounded in Saturday’s incident were members of Lim’s unit, the 22nd infantry division, in the eastern province of Gangwon.
The army issued its highest state of alert in nearby areas during the search for Lim, which involved thousands of soldiers, Colonel Roh Jae-chun told reporters.
Special forces units and army helicopters were also brought in, while residents were warned to stay indoors.
Lim had difficulty adapting to the military, and past psychological evaluations had advised senior officers to pay him special attention, a defence ministry official who wished to remain anonymous said.
This is not the first time the 22nd infantry has been involved in such an incident.
In 1984 a private belonging to the same division opened fire and threw a grenade at fellow soldiers in their barracks, killing 15.
The soldier, Cho Jun-hee, then crossed the border to defect to the North, a move which Pyongyang’s state media later confirmed.
Most of the victims in Saturday’s shooting were conscripts, aged from 19 to 23.
The defence ministry issued a “sincere apology” over the incident.
“We pray for the souls of the victims and express our deepest regret for the victims, the injured and their families,” it said.
Bullying and cruelty in the barracks have long tarnished the armed forces, and been blamed for suicides and similar shooting incidents. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Two S. Korean soldiers die during training
Massive manhunt for S. Korean solider who killed five comrades
Army captures killer South Korean conscript
Indian rickshaw driver fatally stabs American wife, kills self
Poverty pushes underage kids to drive public buses
Eight-day mission to test technology to be used in lunar probe
British woman, 24, dies during cosmetic surgery in Thailand
Video of umbrella-beating incident on Singapore's MRT divides netizens
HK Umbrella Movement gets video game
Jokowi in global spotlight
Tips on how to write horror fiction
Germany's Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform - Sunday Times
‘The Most Epic Safety Video Ever Made’ with Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)