Home > News > Regional
Monday May 12, 2014 MYT 5:36:00 PM
Monday May 12, 2014 MYT 6:00:42 PM
A relative of a missing passenger aboard the ill-fated ferry Sewol weeps at Paengmok Port, South Korea, as search operation was halted due to bad weather conditions. - EPA
SEOUL, May 12, 2014 (AFP) - South Korea on Monday recognised three people who died saving others in last month's ferry capsize as national "martyrs" - lending a heroic chapter to a disaster narrative dominated by accusations of cowardice, corruption and incompetence.
All three were part-time crew members, including an engaged couple - Kim Ki-Woong and Jung Hyun-Seon - who could have escaped the sinking vessel but stayed to help trapped passengers.
The third was Park Ji-young, 21, the youngest crew member, who became a public hero after it emerged that she had given her lifejacket to a passenger as she sought to guide people to safety.
Being designated martyrs entitles them to burial at a national cemetery, and their families will be eligible for financial compensation, medical assistance and other incentives.
The behaviour of the part-timers stood in stark contrast to the captain and most of the crew who were among the first to abandon ship and have been widely vilified for leaving trapped passengers to die.
All 15 surviving crew members, including the captain, have been arrested.
The confirmed death toll from the disaster stood at 275 Monday, with 29 still unaccounted for as dangerous conditions suspended recovery operations for a third straight day.
The 6,825-tonne ferry Sewol capsized and sank off the southern coast on April 16.
Divers have been unable to access the submerged vessel since Saturday morning, with strong tides and heavy swells pushing conditions beyond the safety limit.
There is intense pressure on the recovery teams to wrap up the grim task of pulling every body from the ferry as soon as possible.
The families of those still missing oppose raising the vessel until every body has been retrieved.
But the search, in near-zero visibility, is becoming increasingly dangerous, with some partition walls on the ship warping and at risk of collapse.
"We will put the priority on the safety of divers when they search through dangerous areas," coastguard spokesman Ko Myung-Suk told a daily briefing.
The Sewol was carrying 476 people when it sank after listing sharply to one side and then rolling over.
Of those on board, 325 were children from a high school on an organised trip to the southern resort island of Jeju.
Initial investigations suggest the ferry was carrying up to three times its safe cargo capacity.
The Sewol's regular captain, who was off duty on the day of the accident, has told prosecutors that the ferry operator - Chonghaejin Marine Co - "brushed aside" repeated warnings that the 20-year-old ship had stability issues following a renovation in 2012.
Five Chonghaejin officials, including the company's head, have been arrested on various charges including manslaughter, negligence and breaches of safety regulations.
Tags / Keywords:
south korea, ferry siking, sewol, tragedy, martyrs
US and S. Korea flex their muscles
Kim Jong-Un credits nukes not talks for deal with South Korea
North Korea negotiator hails ‘turning-point’ for ties with South
North, South Korea defuse crisis after marathon talks
South Korea says won’t end broadcasts without ‘clear’ North Korea apology
China screams for Tojo ice cream on war anniversary
7-Eleven under pressure in Australia over wage fraud claims
Google goes sans-serif
Journalists acquitted in Thai navy defamation trial
Giant Australian sheep baa-dly in need of shearing
TalentCorp turns Malaysia’s brain drain to brain gain
Could TripAdvisor-style ratings save migrant workers from slavery?
No terrain too rough for these four-wheelers
Wawrinka powers into third round over Korean teenager
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)