Home > News > Regional
Thursday May 8, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday May 8, 2014 MYT 8:14:06 AM
SEOUL: Recovery teams should try to wrap up their search for bodies from South Korea’s ferry disaster by the weekend, Prime Minister Chung Hong-Won said three weeks after the ship sank with hundreds of schoolchildren on board.
With 33 bodies yet to be recovered, the moment is fast arriving when the authorities will have to make a call on stopping the underwater search in order to raise the ferry, which was carrying 476 people when it capsized on April 16.
The conditions the recovery teams are working in are extremely challenging, and the death of a diver on Tuesday is likely to fuel debate as to how long the search should continue. The deciding factor so far has been the sensitivities of the relatives of those still unaccounted for.
The coastguard has promised that the giant floating cranes to be used in the salvage operation will only be brought in once all the bodies trapped in the submerged ship have been retrieved. But with some bodies being recovered several kilometres away from the disaster site over the past week, it is unclear just how many remain trapped and how many may never be recovered.
Speaking at a cabinet meeting, Chung said every effort should be made “to wrap up the search by May 10 to help ease the pain of the families of the missing.” — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
south korea, ferry sinking, tragedy
Philippines goes supersonic again with S. Korean fighter jets
South Korea's November exports down
Last NZ chopper crash bodies retrieved from glacier
The Korean rose comes to town
South Korea on alert for sign of North Korea missile test
Storm in a herbal cup: Indonesian elixirs get a modern twist
'Tokyo Story' star Setsuko Hara, muse of Ozu, dies at 95
From the labs to dinner plates
MH17 memorial planned near Schiphol airport
Foreign worker rappels into drain in daring cat rescue in Singapore
Eight experiences you can’t miss when in Australia
Two steps to radiant eyes
Fun in a world of make-believe
Samsung and Apple in talks to use OLED screens for future iPhones
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)