Home > News > Regional
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Friday April 25, 2014 MYT 10:29:22 AM
SEOUL: Some parents of the mostly teenage victims of South Korea’s ferry disaster are pushing for autopsies that might show their children were alive inside the submerged vessel and only died because the emergency response was so slow.
The confirmed death toll yesterday stood at 171, but 131 were still missing as dive teams searched in near pitch-black conditions for bodies trapped in the ferry’s interior.
More than a week after the 6,825 tonne Sewol capsized and sank with 476 people on board, most of them high school students, there is still widespread anger among the victims’ families over the pace of the initial rescue effort.
It took divers working in difficult and dangerous conditions more than two days to get into the sunken ferry and two more days to retrieve the first bodies.
Many relatives believed some of the victims may have survived for several days in trapped air pockets, but perished in the cold water after no rescue came.
As a result, some have asked for autopsies to be performed to see if it would be possible to determine the precise cause and time of death.
“We have received a number of enquiries about autopsies,” said a member of the forensic team on Jindo island working on identifying the bodies recovered from the disaster site.
“It seems they want some confirmation of the exact cause of death, but it’s only a minority that is asking,” he said.
An official responsible for legal and medical issues at the emergency situation desk on Jindo said there was nothing to prevent families from having an autopsy carried out.
“To my knowledge, nobody has so far actually brought a body to the National Forensic Service to have this done,” the official said.
The belief that some passengers might have survived the initial capsize was very strong in the days immediately after the Sewol sank on April 16, fuelled in part by fake postings on social network sites claiming to be text messages from passengers begging to be rescued.
Relatives have also been distressed by reports that many of the recovered bodies had broken fingers – pointing to frantic efforts to escape the vessel as it listed and sank.
Of the 476 people on board, 325 were students from Danwon High School in Ansan city just south of Seoul.
Kim Hyong-Ki, the spokesman for a representative committee set up by the relatives, confirmed that some parents were pushing for autopsies.
“They want to know for certain how their family members died,” Kim said.
“That said, most people oppose it because they can’t bear the idea of the bodies being damaged any more.
“My daughter’s body is still out there in the sea, but I don’t want anyone dissecting it after it is recovered.” - AFP
Tags / Keywords:
More $$$ needed to host World Table Tennis meet in Malaysia
Biking across continents
Ex-Fukushima execs to be charged over 2011 nuclear accident
Deadly shooting at Sri Lanka election rally
Thai rebels wound village security volunteers in attack
Bin Laden’s mother, sister killed in UK plane crash
Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive 'Chapo' Guzman
Iraq's Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
Syrian Kurdish forces say 'provocative' Turkey targeting them
Country legend Lynn Anderson dead at 67
Syrian army advances on plain after rebel offensive: monitor
Fishing for your dinner
Malaysian gymnast Olivia down but not out
A tale of a doctor and a misspelled street name
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)